+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid Battery Dies, Gas Only?

As we all know as battery ages it looses its strenght and sooner than later it will die, if this happens can the Camry run on Gas Only without having to replace the hybrid battery?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The Camry Hybrid can not

The Camry Hybrid can not function without the Hybrid system. The electric motor must always be turning for power from the engine to get to the wheels. If the battery were totally dead (nearly impossible, they dont just die), the Hybrid system would shutdown completly.

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid.

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. I have 251,000 on the odometer (156,000 miles). My hybrid system has now gone down three times. The first time was just after the warranty had expired. The message says "Check Hybrid System" and while the car still operates the Hybrid system is completely off-line which includes the cruise control. The first two incidents Toyota reset the computer codes because I can not afford the $6,000 to replace the battery pack (there are a number of internet posts that would indicate that the cost is in fact $3,000). I have also read that the cause of the failure may be the computer.

Questyions:
    1. Any thoughts on the cause of the battery failure?
    2. Cost to replace.

The electric motor must

The electric motor must always be turning for power from the engine to get to the wheels.Surface News

TOYOTA HYBRID SUCKS ....

TOYOTA HYBRID SUCKS .... READ ON WHY....
    ============================

hi, I am from toronto, I bought my first used camry hybrid 2007 model when it has 34000kms, I am very much impressed with its gas mileage and comfort driving. I bought yet another 2007 model camry hybrid for my wife when it has 110000kms, I bought my second car after had a plenty of research, also browsed an official toyota canada website - I was very much convinced with content on toyota.ca website - Hybrid Myths section,

where it says below.

"Hybrid batteries need to be replaced"

Hybrid batteries are designed to last the life of the vehicle. Backed by an 8 year, 160,000km warranty, hybrid taxi's have gone well over half a million km's on the original battery. The fact of the matter is 99% of the hybrid vehicles we have sold since 2001 have never had their original battery replaced.

"Hybrid performance doesn't last long"

Taxi fleets in Vancouver and Winnipeg have been using hybrids for over a decade logging millions of kms, many with over 550,000km.

above content on toyota.ca was prime reason to buy my second camry hybrid.

Today my engine light came up with " Check Hybrid System" message, took to deal and it was found that hybrid battery needs to be replaced and it costs $4350 - I am shocked to hear such a huge expense, its very unfortunate that I have 171300 clicks on my odometer, just little over the warrantee expired - this is a SIN. Yes I agree that toyota gives warrantee for 8yrs or 160000kms but why do they need to claim false information on website with words like " designed to last its life time" , run million kilometres, taxi fleets run 500000kms etc. which certainly influence in decision making to buy the car.

I called toyota canada to explain my problem with intention they could help a loyal customer like me who owns 2 cars and on my recommendation 2 of my other friends bought cars, yet another friend thinking buy 2012 model camry. But customer rep was so arrogant that she don't even want to transfer to supervisor or manager to talk further - this is also first time experience I had every customer rep on request they always transfer to their supervisor to talk further.

I never in my life buy any TOYOTA make vehicle though I love the cars when there is poor customer service it pains to loose my hard earned money.

PLEASE DONT EVER BUY CAMRY HYBRID CARS AND YOU MIGHT HAVE SAME EXPERIENCE - ITS REALLY PAIN FUL TO SPEND $$$$$ - TRUST ME.