+ Reply to Thread

Should I buy a 2005 HCH?

Simple question: My parents are elderly and can no longer drive. I have to either sell their 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 50,000 miles or buy it myself for fair market value.

Should I not take the chance on the battery issue and just sell it for my folks? My concern is that sooner or later I would run into the same battery issue that many have posted.

I greatly appreciate the experts out there on this forum! Thanks for your help on this decision.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

First remember that the car

First remember that the car has an 8 yrs 100,000 mile warranty on the battery. (10 yr, 150,000 mile in some states.)

Usually the battery will last the life of the car.

How long do you plan on keeping it and how many miles would you ultimately put on it? How many miles have you driven your previous cars? Over 150,000? 200,000?

Even if you have to replace the battery someday, it will probably cost you less than $1,500. Pretty reasonable in my opinion if you get 150,000 miles of more out of it.

--
    Eric Powers
    Green Drive Expo
    * SF Bay Area - Second weekend in June
    * Madison, WI - Third weekend in July
    www.GreenDriveExpo.com

I would plan on driving the

I would plan on driving the car until it was too expensive to repair. So, if I can get up to 150,000 miles out of it, that would be ideal. Past that and repairs always seem to mount exponentially.

Currently, I've got two cars running at 125,000 plus.

I just worried that battery problems seem to pop up in year six or seven. Also, if I buy the car, does the warranty transfer over.

Car was bought in Massachusetts originally, but we now reside in Illinois.

Have you considered the

Have you considered the alternative of donating a car? Sure the Honda Civic still can be used on great standards, it's not such an old car but yet, if you don't know what to do with it maybe a charity gesture would be an easy way of solving this issue.