+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Prius Smart Key

u r on the right track ----

u r on the right track ---- once heard a mechanic ask in a Toyota mechanics class "why he had to buy 'special' tools to service the new cars." -- The answer - "Do u want everyone servicing their own cars".

The issue is not that the part or the time required to do it is costly. RFID chips (embedded in keys) r cheap. They put the same thing on all Walmart merchandise and ur pets.

The FOB electronics r no more involved than an FRS radio. The problem is that it is to make a $25,000 machine work - period. So they figure 1% of the cost is reasonable. Ever notice how the cost of service to a BMW is so much more than that of a Corolla? It is a game - again - "follow the money"

The money says make it so the FIX is limited (supply) then we can charge a lot for it (demand). In 10 years when there r thousands of ppl selling these things and most vehicles in the junk yard the price may be more reflective of what they cost to actually make them now.

BTW - the device to program these things is $2500. to $6500. depending on how much s/w u buy.

Again, limiting the buyers, lowering the supply and raising the cost. Some of that is a valid effort to control it out of the hands of random thieves. BUT, if u have a working key and FOB u can get it programmed. If a dealer telly u he can only program a NEW one that u have to buy from him at $350. never do business with him again. There r a couple dealers who thought I should pay a premium to buy my vehicle when it first came out. They never saw me again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

By the way, if you just want

By the way, if you just want to replace the battery, this website has instructions:

http://www.squidoo.com/toyota-prius-...placement-tips

The battery is model #CR2032 and only costs $12.

Toyota Prius 2009. My home

Toyota Prius 2009. My home was burgled and both 'fobs' stolen while I was away. Quote for replacement-in excess of $4,200-00. Insurance (after I pay $500) is max $1000. I am in shock. Any advice--please!!

2009 Prius can be reseeded

2009 Prius can be reseeded to a new set of key ID's. This has to be done by at least the least a Master Certified Toyota or Lexus tech with Toyota's Techsteam scan tool. Dealerships charge from 1 to 2 hours for this service plus the cost of the fob's. The car will have to be towed in on a flatbed because the Techstream for this process has to be in the dealership's secure intranet. The stolen keys will no longer work after a reseed. Lost but later found fobs can be erased from their marriage to the old ID's as long as you have at least 1 new registered fob

2009 Prius can be reseeded to a new set of key ID's. This has to be done by at least the least a Master Certified Toyota or Lexus tech with Toyota's Techsteam scan tool. Dealerships charge from 1 to 2 hours for this service plus the cost of the fob's. The car will have to be towed in on a flatbed because the Techstream for this process has to be in the dealership's secure intranet. The stolen keys will no longer work after a reseed. Lost but later found fobs can be erased from their marriage to the old ID's as long as you have at least 1 new registered fob

I work for a Toyota

I work for a Toyota Dealership. That dealer is trying to rip you off.

When someone loses BOTH keys it is a hassle because you often need to get the on board computer replaced that is paired with the smart keys.

Fortunately in the US, Toyota has a program in place that when someone loses both sets of keys and has no original keys, they will replaced the FIRST on board computer transmitter receiver FREE of CHARGE. you still must pay for the new keys, but you don't have to pay for the computer replacement. Again, this is only for 1 time per Vehicle.

Hey I saw your posting and I

Hey I saw your posting and I lost my key too and aondering if I can buy yours from you
    Thanks

Thanks for that info Sir. It

Thanks for that info Sir. It seems the dealership is always trying to run a racket to get more money. I see why people don't like going to the dealer for anything. I know there are some reputable dealers out there , but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. LoL!!!

The e-bay seller exchanged

The e-bay seller exchanged it for another one and this time I went to a different dealer, but they couldn't do it either. free cell phone spy software cell phone spyware