+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Smart Key

considering this guide here

considering this guide here http://www.autokeysquad.com/toyota-fob-programming it might be that the key is fine. the only thing which you need to change is the transponder key. which shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks. then you can program it to your vehicle.
    hope this helps

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

considering this guide here

considering this guide here http://www.autokeysquad.com/toyota-fob-programming it might be that the key is fine. the only thing which you need to change is the transponder key. which shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks. then you can program it to your vehicle.
    hope this helps

sorry, i managed to post

sorry, i managed to post three times..must be the network

One of my smart keys often

One of my smart keys often does not work. Is there a battery that could be weak? If so how do I replace it?

My wife and I wanted to buy

My wife and I wanted to buy a 2012 Prius V, but learned about the alleged "smart key" and we decided to back out of the deal at the very last minute. We feel the alleged "smart key" is a total rip off. I told the salesman that I didn't care if the key could take a poop. The $500.00+ replacement cost is ludicrous and moreover, the alleged "smart key" is extremely inconvenient and has many drawbacks. Even if it could be replaced for $12.00 I wouldn't want a car with one. The Toyota alleged smart key should win an award for one of the most worthless over priced accessories every to come as standard equipment on an automobile. I would like to find a kit that can change this nuisance system to an ordinary key. The kit should be able to bypass the smart key with an ordinary flat key that doesn't take a ton of space in your pocket and cost a small fortune to replace? I'm curious, has anyone sent their $500 key through the wash?

Thanks Joe for that comment.

Thanks Joe for that comment. I was also considering buying a Toyota Prius this month, but I loose my car keys at least once a year. Yeah, go figure for bad key habits. Anywho, there is no way I could afford to pay $350 each time I lost a key. I won't buy a Toyota prius now. Sadface.

As soon as you lose one key,

As soon as you lose one key, you have to replace it, because it would not be wise to only have one key left. Ironically the main aspect of buying a new car now seems to be the cost and ease of replacing of the key. $500.00+ is the cost of replacement here in Honolulu, and you have to transport the car to the main service center which is on the other side of the island, as that is the only place where Toyota has the equipment needed to reprogram the car and cut the new key. For the record, you can buy a new Hyundai and the cost of a replacement key is only $18.00 at the dealership. I had to replace the rear deck lock on my 2000 Subaru Outback, and got a new lock with two new keys for $35.00 at the nearest Subaru Dealer in Denver, Colorado. (I live in Colorado in the summertime.)

As soon as you lose one key,

As soon as you lose one key, you have to replace it, because it would not be wise to only have one key left. Ironically the main aspect of buying a new car now seems to be the cost and ease of replacing of the key. $500.00+ is the cost of replacement here in Honolulu, and you have to transport the car to the main service center which is on the other side of the island, as that is the only place where Toyota has the equipment needed to reprogram the car and cut the new key. For the record, you can buy a new Hyundai and the cost of a replacement key is only $18.00 at the dealership. I had to replace the rear deck lock on my 2000 Subaru Outback, and got a new lock with two new keys for $35.00 at the nearest Subaru Dealer in Denver, Colorado. (I live in Colorado in the summertime.)

Yes I have washed them a few

Yes I have washed them a few times and they worked just fine after. Now that I know the key is such an cost issue to replace because I lost one I am going to lock one away for safe keeping.. Live and Learn

I have 2 key fobs from a

I have 2 key fobs from a 2009 Camry hybrid. (car was written off in an accident). Can the fobs be re-programmed to work in a 2012 Camry hybrid?