+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hi there - I am a 2005 HCH

Hi there - I am a 2005 HCH owner, in the state of CA. My car has 98K miles on it, and the IMA light came on the other day. I took it to our local dealer to get the diagonistic test. It came back with a failing IMA code, and was told my IMA battery would need to be replaced for about $3k.

Now I am in the state of CA, and my car is certified PZEV and SLUV (Tier II). Therefore, my IMA battery should be under warranty until 10/150,000. The dealer tried to convince me that I was wrong, my battery was NOT covered, and my car was ULUV only and did not meet the state requirements.

I had a pretty good feeling that they weren't being upfront with me, so I contacted Honda America. The customer service rep I talked to was very vague, but said there was absolutely nothing in her records (based on VIN) that would tell me whether my car was covered.

So since neither Honda entity was going to help me, I did some reseach on my own, and determined that my car was indeed covered.

I called Honda America back again, and my complaint was escalated to a "case manager". He immediately tried to convince me that, yes my car was PZEV, but based on my VIN it was not covered. He said that even though my car was certified PZEV in the state of CA, it really didn't matter. Some cars were covered, some were not, and it was all based on VIN and some info he had in his database. He then goes on to say, "your car is NOT covered, but Honda wants to keep you happy, so would you be satisfied with Honda covering half of the $3k?" Heck, no - they should cover it all. By law.

After talking to two California state departments (Bureau of Auto Repair, and CARB) they encouraged me to file a complaint, because what Honda America (and the dealership) was saying was not true, and they felt I was being duped.

I called back my case manager, and requested my denial of coverage in writing, along with any support he had based on my VIN and the Honda database. My husband followed up with a call, basically saying that we knew my car was covered, and we weren't going to go away.

Literally, an hour later, I got a call from the dealership saying my IMA battery would be replaced for free.

I wanted to share my experience ASAP, because I feel that this a shady tactic from the top of the company, down. If we hadn't been persistent, and had just TRUSTED Honda, we would be out $3k. I believe that Honda is most likely pulling this scam on a lot of people, and I wanted to tell people to talk to your state board, and stay on them. Don't believe everything they tell you. And if this has happened to you, please feel free to contact me. I think it's time to shine light on this bad business practice

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just had my IMA Battery

Just had my IMA Battery replaced on my 2004 Honda Civic. My new car warranty was for 80,000 miles or 8 years. I have driven it 47,000 miles to date. So the battery replacement that could have cost me well over $2000 was done under warranty. The scarey part is that the replacement battery only comes with a 12 month warranty. I told them my last engine battery came with a 48 month warranty and wanted to know why such an expensive replacement only came with a 12 month warranty.

The service technician at Northwest Honda in Maryland said 'why worry, you didn't pay for the replacement.' I said 'If 'I had paid for the replacement what would the warranty be? He didn't give me an answer. I asked him how I could sell my car if a buyer could be faced with a battery cost of over $2000 that came with a 12 month warranty. His answer was 'Well, they do last longer'. To all, good luck selling your electric hybrids!

Dear Richard, I have an 05

Dear Richard,

I have an 05 Honda Accord Hybrid. The hybrid battery needs to be replaced. The light went on so I took it to the dealership in West Covina, California on December 20. They are going to charge me $800 to replace the battery, which I am told is a deal because the true cost is $3,500. I have already waited 3 weeks for the battery and now they are saying it will be at least another week and even then there are no guarantees that the battery will come in. Honda does not offer loaner or courtesy cars. I will be without my car for at least one month. The battery is no longer under warranty because mileage is $150,000.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions for me?

Kimberly, It sounds like

Kimberly,

It sounds like you'll just have to wait although it might help to call them daily to get a status and ask what the delay is. I have an '04 Hybrid in SoCal and just found out today that my battery warranty is 10 years or 150k miles. What I don't understand is why it's costing you $800? If it's under warranty there should be no cost and if not I would expect them to have you pay $3000 or more.

Mine is in the shop now for transmission and I'm having them look into the IMA since I had the IMA light and Check Engine light awhile back.

-Marc

How much would a brand new

How much would a brand new IMA battery cost to replace>? I know dealers would charge an outrageous amout of money. Let me know!

Thanks,

Benjamin

Hello, I bought my 2005

Hello, I bought my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid brand new in California and now has 105k miles. It started showing the IMA problem a couple of weeks ago, sent it to the dealer and said that my regular battery is low and needs to be changed so that they can install new software, cost me Abour $250. They said that hopefully after they install the new software that indicator would go stop. after a week, it showed up again, so i went back to the dealership, they checked it and told me that it was the hybrid battery cell, and it would cost me $3000, but they would call american honda to maybe help me even though its out of warranty. First, they said that after his manager called american honda, they would be willing to cover 50% of the cost. I Immediately said cant afford it, so I would probably wait until I have the money, they then told me that maybe they can do it more if the other manager call, and of course after an hour they said that they can only do it for 75% off which still about $776 plus tax. Now I wonder if its really under warranty since they kind willing to negotiate with me on the price. It just doest usually happen if its not under warranty. Can anybody please help me on who to call so they can cover all the cost. thank you so much. God Bless...

I don't know where you got

I don't know where you got that information. Mine was 80,000 miles [KY] And the damn prices have gone up from a year ago. My last Honda

How can I contact you for a

How can I contact you for a replacement? Thanks

You had an interesting

You had an interesting experience out there, I hope it won't be my case though. I also hope that my car insurance Ireland covers for the battery replacement, I am aware that I won't be able to avoid the dealers forever. I'm glad I found your story, I know now what to expect.

Do you replace Honda Accord

Do you replace Honda Accord Hybrid IMA batteries? My 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid IMA batteries are still working at 146,000, but definitely not efficiency any longer.
    I reside in San Diego, CA.