+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chipped Windshield Repair advice.

Unfortunately, a rock came out of nowhere and chipped about a size of a dime on my HCH2008 windshield. Looks like bulls eye in shape and has few cracks around it. Does anyone has an idea how to do-it-yourself repair? Or the professional repair is favorable? Are there any possibilities of crack all the way even if after repair?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Depending on the size of the

Depending on the size of the cracks emanating from the chip, I would say some repair shops will recommend a windshield replacement.

However, I am unaware of any DYI kits to fix that kind of damage. Even if the chip can be filled, it needs to be done professionally and with the right equipment. Depending on how well the job is done future cracking may not be an issue at all. Some shops offer a good repair warranty that is worth considering.

Cheers;

MSantos

I just found a DYI repair

I just found a DYI repair kit at local Walmart for ten bucks, manufactured by maker of Fix-a-flat. It is claimed to do the job. Thinking to give a try. Hopefully works. Thanks for your suggestions MSantos!

i do windshield repair for a

i do windshield repair for a living and i can honestly say it was about 6 months before i could do them consistently well, and about 2 years before i got them perfect 98% of the time.

you should know that you only have one shot at fixing the repair. if you try to fix it yourself and it looks crappy,
    #1 it has air in it and is now a spread risk
    #2 it cannot be re-done by a professional once an amateur has got resin halfway in there and it has cured/hardened.

let a pro do it!

Thank you all for helpful

Thank you all for helpful comments. I tried the repair kit and surprisingly, it worked well for me. Actually, I used remaining resin over my 3 years old chip on my ISUZU. It worked really on that too. And was not that hard to do it. I really recommend this stuff. Saved me a good chunk of money.

wow! Debating the same for

wow! Debating the same for me. Mine is extremely small.

Wish I had seen this before

Wish I had seen this before you did your repair. You should have checked with your insurance company. Mine will hire some one to come out and fix it, at my home or work, at no extra cost to me. However, if that doesn't work, and the pro either can not fix it, or the repair doesn't hold, then they will replace my windshield at a hugely reduced cost to me.

Fix a chipped windshield by

Fix a chipped windshield by purchasing a car windshield repair kit, cleaning out the crack thoroughly, applying the suctioning device to the crack and allowing the bonding agent to cure for several hours. Make sure the windshield is warm and that the sun is out to help with the curing process when repairing a car windshield.

When it comes to windshields

When it comes to windshields I would never try to do it myself, the job seems simple but it's not, windshields need to be properly fixed and there are too many thing to consider. I did some repair work in the past though, I am good with paintless dent removal tools and I can handle minor stuff without assistance. My point is that if you didn't do this before you should should do with with the help of an expert first, then try it yourself.

You could do a D.I.Y on it

You could do a D.I.Y on it but its tedious,you could check the steps here on auto repair manuals. If you see that you're capable of doing it then do it but its a risk for sure.