+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cold Weather Tips

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for cold weather driving. I consistantly get 30-32 mpg except when the weather turns cold. Now I'm getting 24-27 mpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lkozark View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had any tips for cold weather driving. I consistantly get 30-32 mpg except when the weather turns cold. Now I'm getting 24-27 mpg.
    You might want to consider some of these:

1. Dress warm and avoid using the heater as much as possible. If you turn the climate control to OFF, no coolant will circulate in EV which will prevent some cooling of the engine. The electric heater coolant pump will run in EV when the climate control is in any position but OFF.

2. Use the warm-up strategy Ford patent and used in the FEH/MMH wisely. This means slowly accelerate from a start-up and let the electric motors provide the torque to the wheels. The strategy controls the idle of the engine and retards the timing to heat the engine and CAT quicker.

3. End your drive with a low HV battery state of charge (SOC) so your charging the battery after the warm-up strategy ends. Watch the Charge/Discharge needle to see when the Discharge needle moves to the Charge side to notice the end of the warm-up strategy. The warm-up strategy will end if you accelerate to fast or the Battery SoC falls below ~33%. Normal operating range for the HV battery is 40-60%, but the warm-up strategy allows the battery to go down to ~32%.

4. Get a Scangauge II and program SoC and other gauges available at the Scangauge.com site. Monitor coolant temperature and and other gauges that will improve your mileage. I have two SGII gauges mounted in my FEH to monitor.

5. Install a engine block heater if one didn't come with your vehicle. Plug the heater in 3 hours before a cold start to heat the engine and HV battery. It doesn't have to be freezing to take advantage of the block heater.

6. Consider a radiator block in cold weather. This will allow your engine to retain heat and increase mileage in cold weather.

7. Use the same 87 octane fuel all the time. If you mix 10% ethanol with straight 87 octane, you mileage will drop because the computer has to relearn long term air/fuel ratio maps. This causes a 5mpg drop in my mileage.

8. Keep that tire pressure at least 44psi which is sidewall max in the stock tires. I keep 50psi in my stock tires.

9. Face-out and get moving as soon as you turn the key. No idle warm-up is needed because of the warm-up strategy.

10. Use EV as soon as possible. It might take shifting to neutral and lightly tapping the brake pedal to go EV in cold and real hot weather.

GaryG

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found that leaving the heater does allow me to go EV sooner.

I would agree with GaryG

I would agree with GaryG statements except for tire pressure. If you are turely in the snow country, you need winter tires--not the stock Conti Eco-Plus tires. I have the Goodyear Triple Tread tires with the 60,000 mile warranty. Try using something like 38-39PSI for these tires due to winter conditions dictating a difference in tread design and purpose.

I live in upstate NY and it

I live in upstate NY and it gets COLD here in the winter! Took delivery on my 08 FEH w/nav package (energy flow display included) in Sept. Mileage averaged 30 in normal driving without much change in driving habits. Now that the weather is consistently in the low to mid teens (and E10 has reared its ugly and oh so expensive head here in the North Country) my mileage is about 27....not bad for two fundamental changes (weather and fuel) that should get a predictable 10% decrease in mpg. I've been much more cognizant of my techniques and have followed some of GaryG's advice. My friend's Prius went from >45mpg to around 32 this winter so I'm feeling pretty smug about my FEH!

Glad I could help Randy and

Glad I could help Randy and you may find some of those techniques become good driving habits that save money in the long run. One very important key to good mileage is keep the RPM's as low as possible. Both the stock RPM's and speed gauges show higher than the Scangauge II on my '05 FWD FEH. On the SGII, I try to keep the RPM's between 1,500 and 1,800rpm's with only a very quick burst for speed when I have to.

I love the Prius and want to get my wife one ASAP. Some hypermilers I know have got 120mpg out of them but most people have a hard time averaging the upper 40's on a tank. I parked next to a guy at BJ's a while back and he ask me what kind of mileage I got. I had almost 600 miles on the tank and my average MPG was over 47mpg on my tank SGII. He didn't know me from Adam so I knew just telling him wasn't going to convince him. So I turn the key to the on position to let him just take a look at the Navi and my SGII. You should have seen his face. He said I was averaging a little better than him with his Prius. Poor guy, I think I ruined his day at that moment. I had to add a little insult to his injury by stating my best 20 mile round trip was 70.3mpg. I don't think the guy knew about hypermiling or that some Prius owners average over 60mpg tanks.

thanks for sharing, i really

thanks for sharing, i really appreciate your tips..

Welcome to Hybridcars.com

Welcome to Hybridcars.com crazy racer! It's always nice to be appreciated, so thank you. Just curious, what does ofc staff stand for?

This is off the topic but

This is off the topic but Toyota is rumored to be brining out a new design for the Prius for 2009. I even read a "car line" with the Prius name. Then there is plug in Prius that will eventually be available. Rumor has it Toyota using two normal hybrid battery packs for the plug in version.

ofc staff is my job, you

ofc staff is my job, you know, assisting all your superior or boss in the office....