2007-2010 Lexus ES350
    2006-2010 Lexus IS250s
    2006-2010 Lexus IS350s

Get the Latest Facts at http://www.ToyotaBrakeRecall.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I had a 73 Dodge Charger

I had a 73 Dodge Charger when I was 17. my first car. I was driving on the highway and the throttle got stuck. The traffic was light and while I was scared I let the car go and kept my foot lightly on the brake. When I got to my exit I shifted to neutral and coasted to the side of the road with the engine screaming. Turned off the car and called my dad for some help.

These problems can happen to any car. Itís a machine built by man. People should have the skills to handle the issue. After all these are heavy pieces of machinery. When it could be a larger design issue companies like Toyota should deal with it. Seems they are. We shall see. Regardless my Prius has performed flawlessly after 70000 miles. My Dodge Charger broke down often

I guess if you're other car

I guess if you're other car is a vette, then the Prius is slow. but if you compare it to a VW, it's a rocket. flooring the pedal and keeping it there will get that car moving really fast, really fast. Now put a mom behind the wheel that's never floored a gas pedal in her life.

There is NO

There is NO neutral!!!!

Seriously, one put's the car in drive or reverse and shifts to the letter N; nothing, the car does not recognize neutral. It just keeps going.

There is neutral. Trust me.

There is neutral. Trust me. I've used it a couple times to try to squeak out a couple extra mpgs on downhills.

Did you tap it there or hold it there?

You have to hold it there for 2 full seconds for it to realize that you really want it in neutral.

Try it again.

I recently bought a 2004

I recently bought a 2004 Prius with 35K (cheap from all the bad press). I have practiced going down the highway accelerating and shifted it to neutral. You must hold the shift lever in neutral for it to recognize that you want it to be in neutral. Engine does not rev too high due to the computer keeping the RPM's from going too high.
    If you own a Prius and are worried about unwanted acceleration please practice this procedure. As far as I can tell this is one of the best made cars I have ever driven or worked on. I don't work for Toyota I just know whatever the problem is, they will figure it out. Toyota will rebound as a trusted vehicle for all to drive. Till then drive carefully and practice putting car in neutral under accleration just in case.

I like my Prius but you

I like my Prius but you don't have to compare it to a Corvette to say its slow, its slow compared to my 95 Integra. But, I didn't buy it for speed I bought it for mileage and that it does very well.

i'm just ready to purchase a

i'm just ready to purchase a 2006 prius for a college daughter.

are these problems still happening?
    what questions should I ask re recall problems being being fixed? -- austin

For what it's worth, you

For what it's worth, you don't have to put the Prius in neutral in order to coast.

When your foot is completely off the accelerator, the Prius goes into regenative braking mode.

BUT... If you hold the accelerator pedal down just a 1/4 inch or so, the car remains in neutral, and does not accelerate or brake.

If you attach a scanGauge or other OBDII port device to the Prius, you can see this happening from the battery amperage readouts.

Believe it or not, this past

Believe it or not, this past weekend I experienced an idle surge in my 2009 Prius.

My wife and I were running errands. She was driving (even though she gets about 85% the mileage I get), so Iím sitting in the passenger seat and our daughter is riding in the back.

We pull up to a store that sheís "only going to be in for a minute." She puts the car in park goes into the store, emergency break is off. Its hot-ish outside so she left the car running and the A/C on. The car switches into electric idle mode. Its taking a little longer than expected and the hybrid battery gets down to two bars. This causes the ICE to kick on to recharge the battery. When the ICE kicked on, the car rocked forward what felt like 6Ē and rocked back.

The distance it rocked was probably less, maybe half of what it felt like. But I know it wasnít just me because my daughter who had been reading a book looked up and said, ďAre we moving?Ē