+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prius Recall

2005 prius here. it's a

2005 prius here. it's a great car, i don't know how i could drive anything else now. but my car has a thing about being in park and lurching forward every once in awhile. i was sitting with my foot on the brake once, car in park and facing uphill in my sister's driveway, and it suddenly heaved forward giving the sensation that it was going to leap through the closed garage door. i feel kind of lucky no kids were near the car, and it scares me that this thing keeps happening.

i heard somewhere there was never this trouble before the throttles were changed from mechanical to digital. why is this idea not out there for discussion. all i hear about are floor mats.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Mechanical throttles get

Mechanical throttles get sticky over time. I had an old 78 Corolla that had that problem a couple times.

BTW, that's when I figured out to shift to neutral when the gas petal sticks to the floor.

what should one do if the

what should one do if the prius does that scarey accelerator thing? Shut the car off? emergency brake? neutral? Why don"t they tell us that? I am clueless!!!

valerie, Neutral is best.

valerie,
    Neutral is best. This disengages the motor from propelling the vehicle.

Then you should brake and pull off to the side of the road at the next safest spot. There you would have the ability to double check you vehicle for anything that may be affecting the accelerator.

You don't want to turn the car off while driving because this can lock up the steering wheel.

--
    Eric Powers
    Green Drive Expo
    * SF Bay Area - Second weekend in June
    * Madison, WI - Third weekend in July
    www.GreenDriveExpo.com

Grab the shifter and hold it

Grab the shifter and hold it in neutral for a couple seconds. The other option is push the power button for several seconds until the car shuts off.

In the case of unprovoked

In the case of unprovoked acceleration, turning the power off on the vehicle would lock the steering whell. I would think the best option would be to move the gear to Nuetral, and not power off until you came to a stop. That makes sense, but I have not had the problem with my prius. ??

It's a Prius. They are

It's a Prius. They are SLOOOOOWW. I've driven many miles in a 2010 and if the accelerator got stuck I could drink a tall latte before being in any trouble with speed.

Obviously "Anonymous" above

Obviously "Anonymous" above is a spammer who has never driven a Prius. Only a crack addict on a caffeine overdose would consider a Prius to be "under powered" or lacking in acceleration.

my accerator jammed now

my accerator jammed now toyota wants to give me a quick fix I just want my money back these cars will always be labeled NQR (not quiet right ) so watch the resale value drop Toyota I got ripped

Spoken as though no other

Spoken as though no other car has ever been recalled for a safety issue.