+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Prius Recall

Prius Recall

Toyota just announced a major recall of several brand names of their cars including Prius.

Seems the floor mats are a little oversize, and there is a possiblity of the accelerator pedal getting stuck under the floor mat, causing the car to run wild at full throttle.

After all the issues with fuel tanks and headlights, our Priii are being recalled for...

Defective Floormats?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Seriously. And mine hasn't

Seriously. And mine hasn't shifted an inch since I bought the car in April.

I read one story where someone crashed at 120mph because of the floor mat issue. I thought, "they couldn't figure out how to shift to neutral?"

My wife's Scion xB mats shift more than my Prius'.

By the way, I filled up tge top half of my tank for the first time at 43F. It clicked off a full 1.25 gallons early. With patience I was able to get it filled up, but I froze my butt off doing it

According to today's NY

According to today's NY Times story, the issue is only with mats that were added after-market or as an option at the dealer. It said some of the mats were too large for the space or were placed on top of the existing mat. Additionally, they weren't anchored into place. If you have the standard mat that came with the car and that mat is anchored in place (as mine is), you should be fine. Again, this is according to today's NY Times story. (Which also reported Toyota knew about the issue in 2007.) Yesterday's reports weren't so clear. Overall, it seems Toyota might be a little sluggish here. I went to Toyota.com yesterday and didn't find a word about it.

Jay

My old 1999 Corolla van has

My old 1999 Corolla van has a hook anchored to the floor to keep the floor mat from moving. The hook goes through a hole in the mat. All this is loctaed under the drivers seat and only that side has this feature. So there is no way this could have happened to my car. Now my question is, how is that other Toyota models does not come with this simple feature?

The prius does have it for

The prius does have it for the standard floor mats. The Scion xB has it too, but the plastic hook was pretty easy to break.

Update: Just read on

Update: Just read on NYTimes.com that there's a difference of opinion between Toyota and the NHTSA. Toyota is telling customers that the problem is only with improperly fitted floor mats, but the NHTSA is saying the problem is complicated and the investigation is continuing. Further, the NHTSA says there may be an acceleration problem with the vehicle that has nothing to do with floor mats. Stay tuned.

I just got my floor mat

I just got my floor mat recall notice from Toyota.

It looks like the recall so far applies to floor mats labeled:

PT208-47045-10 (2004 & 2005 Ivory carpeted mats)
    PT208-47045-11 (2004 - 2009 Dark Gray carpeted mats)
    PT208-47060-14 (2006 - 2009 Dark Bisque carpeted mats)
    PT908-21050-02 (2005 & 2006 Black all weather mats)
    PT908-21051-02 (2006 - 2009 Black all weather mats)

The part number is located at the bottom center of the underside of the floor mat.

It recommends the driver side floor mat is removed until Toyota figures out what their fix will be.

I have my 2008 prius for 2

I have my 2008 prius for 2 years and 80.000 miles all I have doen is only the oil change air filtre and new tires to my this is the best car built on this fears.

My accererator has gotten

My accererator has gotten stuck 4 times and it has nothing to do with the floor mat. My Prius is currently at the dealer I refuse to drive it due to safety issues.

In response to your note, I

In response to your note, I was almost killed a month ago because of the gas pedal sticking -- no floor mat being part of the problem. I went from 3 mph to about 80 in stop and go traffic when this happened. I was too scared to take my hands off the wheel as I went off the road and into a gully at 80 mph so that I would not kill anyone else. I broke both of my hands because I was gripping the steering wheel so tight... just to try to control the car. Until you have been in that situation please do not pass judgement on the abilities of the driving skills of those of us who have. I avoided killing myself and others; but had two broken hands and a concussion, plus my doctor says I now have an acute stress reaction. I still love the prius, but I will never get into a 2006 model again.