+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Nissan Altima Hybrid and the "Intelligent" Key

I recently purchased an '09 NAH and have the following questions regarding the "intelligent key" aka keyless ignition.

1) How far can a person drive the car without the intelligent key in the actual car? I went and visited a relative and they wanted to take my NAH for a spin, so I said sure and they got behind the wheel and went down the road (about a block) and then came back. I realized after the fact that I had the intelligent key in my pocket the whole time and the car kept driving. How could that be? I thought the the intelligent key had to be in the car during it's entire operation time (or when it's being driven, etc).

2) Have you ever gone and locked the car (by pressing the black button on the drivers door handle), had the car "double-beep" to confirm that it's locked, and then come back later to find the doors unlocked? I've had it happen a couple of times and can't figure out why it's occurring. I know that the car's locked but when I come back to it (even an hour or two later), it's unlocked.

Appreciate any feedback on the above.

thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

1. it will not turn off

1. it will not turn off (safety reasons)

2. i don't keep track, but i do end up coming back to an unlocked car. i tend to try to press the lock button on the fob more than use the door handle

1. That's strange that your

1. That's strange that your relative was able to do that. When I bought my NAH, my salesman told me that one of the advantages of the smart key is that the car can't be driven if the key is not in it (the scenario he mentioned was stopping at a convenience store on the way to work - you don't have to turn the car off, just take the key with you). I assumed he meant that if the key was removed from the passenger compartment, something in the car would lock the transmission in 'Park'. I just may stop in and ask him about this.
    2. I haven't had this happen (at least I don't think so), but if you look in the users manual, it says that after locking the doors with the door handle button, pull the door handle to make sure it actually locked. Another possibility is that you are inadvertently pressing the button on the remote if it's in your pocket.

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply Gary.

To add to #1, my relative has an '07 Camry and she was surprised that my car did it (drive away with no key) that she took her Camry down the road and left her intelligent key with me, and she was able to drive her car with no problem! So...I wouldn't trust the advice of the salesman on this point. If the car is running, in park, and you step out of it with the key, somebody can then jump behind the wheel and drive the car away.

2) I've always double-checked the door handles after I've locked it and they were always locked. I'm now back to pressing the lock symbol on the key fob. I had been using the black button on the door handle, but after the doors being unlocked a few times, I will trust the fob again.

1)We can hope the car will

1)We can hope the car will "only" continue to run "for a time". I have the Altima 2007 and my husband went back in the house after I started the car with my keys (so he could open the door with my house key) and after a few seconds a warning came up on the dash. The vehicle will not START if the key isn't inside the vehicle. If you start it and get out with the key in your pocket they may drive away but they will not be able to start it again if stopped and turned off. I have never tested it and certainly don't want to get 2 miles down the road and the engine cut off and not have a key.
    2)If the spare fob is in the vehicle the doors will unlock and a beep will sound. Most certainly check the door handle to make sure. Even if you walk away knowing you locked that sucker, you may stick the keys in your pocket and (by that time) be too far away to hear the doors accidently unlock. The fob will work a remarkable distance from the vehicle. If you are in a busy parking lot you may not realize it is your horn that is blowing or see your lights flash when the buttons are pushed by accident.
    3) I am definitely going to ask my dealer about this.

if the car is turned on, and

if the car is turned on, and you leave without the key, the car can be driven until it's turned off. it won't cut off because think of all of the pending lawsuits if a car was on the highway and it cut off. also, sometimes the keyfob battery may die, would you really want the car to stop working?

Ok. so here is the deal. The

Ok. so here is the deal. The idea around the I-key is so your wife can leave her keys in her purse and never have to pull them out, (or you and your manbag/pocket) to enter/start/exit the car.

The car will not start without i-key within a small distance to the pushbutton igintion..this is where the antenna is. The exterior anttenas are in both side rearview mirrors and one in the trunk trim panel, these antennas are for locking and unlocking only and have no effect on starting.

When the I-key is within correct distance of pushbutton ignition, is is consantly talking back and forth with the BCM (body control modlue). This constant communication is why your battery life in your keyfob is not lasting very long, to fix... The only way to stop communication is to insert I-key into the key slot by your left knee.

The car will never turn off , or not allow you to drive because the I-key has left the correct distance from the pushbutton ignition. That is just not built into the system discription. Why? Becasue there is no car that would shut off as intended by manufacture without a MANUAL command from the driver/passenger.

As far as the unlocking issue,, Search every where for an extra key under the seat, trunk or hiding somewhere,,, I see this all the time, right from the port. The key is to far from the pushbutton, yet close enough to an exterior antenna (trunk) and does not have a starting issue ,,, yet does not always lock doors

I have a 2009 Altima with

I have a 2009 Altima with the I-key. When I first purchased the car, I could pressed the black button on the driver's door and it would "double-beep" to indicate that the doors were locked, but now the "double-beep" does not sound yet the doors are locked. Why do you think the "double-beep" does not sound anymore to indicate that the doors are locked?

in 3-14 of my manual, it

in 3-14 of my manual, it says to to hold the lock and unlock buttons for 2 seconds to to turn on the horn feature

I have a 07 Altima push

I have a 07 Altima push start. I left the car running in the driveway to warm up, (winter months), my wife got in and drove a mile away to her job without the key in the car or her posession.. I was shocked.. I quickly called her to get her back, she was at her jobs parking lot.. luckily she didnt turn the car off.. the 2nd smart key was hidden in the house and I checked it was where i hid it.. I would think if the car is running with no key around if someone presses the brake or even puts the car in gear it will turn off.. I always leave the car running with the doors locked all the time..