+ Reply to Thread

Any Info on a 2007 Hybrid

Okay...I just bought a 2007 honda civic hybrid, and honestly it is not getting as much miles to the gallon as I expected. I have a regular 2002 civic as well and the hybrid is getting just as much gas millage as my 32mpg regular civic.

It is really frustrating, expecially since I bought the car to save even more money. I am driving my regular civic while my hybrid sits in the garage until the weekend. I do not know what to do, especially since buying a car is not cheap.

Does anyone know what I can do to make my hybrid experience worth the money? I am hearing to many bad stories instead of good one.

-Thanks in Advance-

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

If your 2007 hybrid is

If your 2007 hybrid is getting rouglhy the same mileage as your 2002 regular civic, there has to be things you can do to change that.

First off, your situation is near-ideal for mileage comparison. It's wouldn't be fair to be comparing to a seasoned hypermiler. But as long as you're the sole or primary driver of both cars, are making the same kinds of trips, in the same kind of traffic, and have stuck at it for a while with both cars (to reduce anomalies), you *should* be doing better with the hybrid.

A few thoughts and questions:

1. How long ago did you get the car, what mileage, and do you know anything about it's history?

2. Who's servicing it? Do you know what engine oil grade was used? It should be 0W20, which happens to be more expensive, and more difficult to find. Switching to 5W20 (or even thicker) will be detrimental to mileage.

Short of changing the oil yourself (or by a responsible mechanic or dealership), it's hard to verify the grade, but you can check the dipstick level. If it's above the full line, that can also be bad for mileage, causing increased resistance to engine rotation, due to the crankshaft splashing unduly into the oil sump. Slightly *below* the top line would be better. Be sure to check on level ground, when the oil's had a while to settle.

3. Something else to do: have a look at the engine air filter. In particular with a used car, and if you don't have the service history.

4. Check the tires, and their pressures. Are they Dunlop or Bridgestone. Honda's used both for their OEM tires, and their choices are tailored for Low Rolling Resistance and good mileage. Do post back as to what specific tire is on there, replacement tires could be a factor.

Also, check the tire pressure. The Driver's doorwell has a sticker indicating "proper" pressure, likely 32ps front and back. The tires should be *at least* that. However, a lot of hybrid drivers are taking their pressures up higher. I'd suggest you try 40/42 psi back/front, for starters.

5. I should have started with this, but anyway: just how many miles have you put on the hybrid? Have you gone through several tanks? If you've only gone through one tank, I'd say there's a strong possibility your calc's are going to be skewed. Any number of dealership jockeys might have been driving your car, and taking out potential customers, for example. It's also difficult to ascertain how the tank was filled, etc.

6. When we got our '06 I quickly realized that half the mileage battle is education. There are two in-dash displays I'd suggest you keep on, constantly:

a) the trip odometer, with cumulative mileage displayed. Reset this everytime you fiill the tank.

b) the realtime mileage display. This is in the upper left corner, in the upper dash portion, showing you moment-by-moment a bar graph display of your efficiency. (Push the gas tank/thermometer button to toggle between realtime mileage and coolant temp) This realtime miileage display will quickly clue you in to what eats the gas, and what doesn't.

There are many ways to get your car from A to B more efficiently, they usually involve some compromise, say letting your speed fall off as you near stops, and just coast. It's best to *not* use cruise control, it is a dumb system, dedicated to maintaining constant speed, whatever the mileage cost. It's actually better to let your speed fall off a bit going up hills, and recoup it going down.

A simple exercise: drive as though you have bad brakes. Look for any and all opportunities to avoid using them. This will have you watching ahead, coasting up to stops, etc.

7. Get on top of general maintenance. Again, if you can find the past service records, that will really help. Maybe a dragging brake? How many clicks does it take to lock the parking brake? It should take 8~10. For some reason a lot of dealerships set it at 1~2 clicks, mostly to protect their butts I think.

8. Consolidate trips, try to avoid short trips, consider getting a block heater. Anything that can reduce warm-up time will get the hybrid into "hybrid mode" faster. Before that happens it behaves much more like a regular civic.

So, please do look into those items, and post regarding anything new, tire type/pressure, service history, etcetera. One thing, if you do find room for improvement for your Hybrid's mileage, those things will likely spill over to your regular Civic. Hopefully the Hybrid still comes out ahead

Addendum:

My wife and I are by no stretch of imagination hypermilers. We get "decent" mileage with the car. The last tankful averaged 5.1 liter/100 km (translates to 46mpg), that was with a fair number of extended drives. This tank is currently showing a more mediocre 5.7 liter/100 km (translates to 41mpg), all short trips so far. I can get the mileage down into the 4.5 liters/100km (52mpg) range, directly after reset of odometer at fill-up. But a few days later, with regular short trips, it will for sure be back in the 5~6 liter/100km range