+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

I am wondering if the

I am wondering if the battery problems are more an indication of how often or little one drives the car. If you just drive it small 3 or 4 miles each trip and drive it a total of 6-9 times a week,with an occasional 20-50 mile trip on the weekend, is that likely to wear out the hybrid/ hybrid system more prematurely?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I am also having all of the

I am also having all of the listed problems. I have been getting the run around for months now! I own a 2006 hch. I went from just over 41 mpg to now roughly 30mpg. I cannot get honda to replace my battery that is always reporting 2 bars every time i get into the car to drive it. The firmware update is the worst thing you could let honda do to you car. it only hides the underlying problem of a bad battery so they do not have to replace it. gives a score of 2 Honda - 0 Owners.

Oh boy- I have a 2005 Honda

Oh boy- I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and have had little problems until now. I have 119,000 miles on it. This morning the IMA and Check Engine Light went on. I have an appointment with the dealer. Any suggestions? It doesn't sound like the computer upgrade helps at all.

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid.

I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid. I did not know of the problem with the battery until just tonight when I started researching why my mileage went down in the past year. I had the update about 3 weeks ago, not knowing that I should not have done it. I started right off the lot with 46 mpg for about the first two years, and then it started dropping. When I took it in for the update I told them of the drop down to about 37 mpg and I was told it was the "winter gasoline" and it would increase again once the summer gas was back in the stations. I could kick myself for not researching this before I went in for the battery update.

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid.

I have a 2006 Civic Hybrid. The battery was just replaced at 104,000mi... just 4,000mi after my extended warranty expired. Last summer I took the car into my dealership for poor battery performance while it was still under warranty. Since the IMA light was not physically on while at the shop and nothing came up under the diagnostics, it was unfortunately not deemed defective at the time.Then cooler weather came and the battery issues hibernated until the spring when my warranty ran out. During which time I had two suggested upgrades/recalls done by Honda. The first was firmware and the second was the voltage converter. Both of which came a few years too late in my opinion. I'm not happy with this situation in the slightest.

I KNOW A GOOD LAWER I bought

I KNOW A GOOD LAWER
    I bought my civic in Feb 2010. It was a 2009 model that the dealership used as a shuttle and only had 6000 miles on it so i got a deal. This post goes back to Aug 09, so Honda must have known something was up. Anyway, my car ran fine until the weather got warm. Then my battery slowly died a little more every day. When I took the car in for an oil change in Aug of 2010, I told the service center what was happening and they told me they did software service change that would solve the problem and that the battery was fine. By Nov of 2010, my battery was fried. I got the battery replaced over the winter and now I know why they had to order one and it took a month for it to come in. The made me pay the shipping and they told me the car was perfectly safe to drive while I waited for the new battery. So, I get the new battery and the car drove exactly the way it should. Until the weather got warm again.
    I think my battery is just about fried again.
    I made an appointment with the service center for an oil change this Sat and I mentioned that I think my battery is going bad.
    I made that appointment right before I googled "honda civic battery problems" so when I take my car in I'm not gonna mention anything until they tell me what they think the problem is.
    Then I am calmly going to tell them what I know and how I know it. I am an aviation mechanic and I work for a large aerospace company and I have access to some of the best electrical people and mechanics in the world.
    I will be talking to them over the next two days I can assure you.
    And I know a damn good lawyer. We've been good friends for over 30 years and I will be calling him later tonight.
    I will check back in when I know something. This was my third Honda. They just lost my business.

Have an older model Honda

Have an older model Honda Insight that had no problems and regularly got 60-65+ mpg. Last ast when it was in for routine maintenance the service department did a "software upgrade" and since then it has never been the same. It now it frequently loses battery charge, acts like it is missing out, and struggles to get 50mpg. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!! I have complained to the service department and they claim there is nothing wrong and they cannot revert to old version of software. I do remember that the customer service rep seemed very nervous and almost sweating at the time of the upgrade last year as he was telling me "everything went well" and now believe they might have botched it by unplugging it in the middle of transfer or some other way. I don't know what went on, I just know that they ruined my car and won't own up to it!

Personally, I don't think

Personally, I don't think so. I bought my car used in 2007. It had low miles from mostly city driving. I drove it for 2 years almost exclusively short distances and city. The battery performed wonderfully. My boyfriend has the same car but a couple years newer, yet my battery seemed to perform better than his and he has driven his car mostly highway and long distances.

One evening as I was turning a corner and started to accelerate, somebody pulled out in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. That seemed to trigger something with the battery as it seemed to stop functioning and the IMA light came on shortly afterward.

Honda replaced the battery as it was still under the original warranty--but just barely. They told me if anything went wrong with the new battery, it is not covered. Then shortly afterward they did a "software upgrade" on my new battery which totally ruined the performance, imo. Now I get at least 10 mpg less and the car seems to struggle where it did not before. But Honda claims everything checks out fine. The car certainly doesn't act like everything is fine, imo.

The above comment is in

The above comment is in response to Chris Coppa regarding whether short distance driving affects life of battery.

I commute around 45 miles

I commute around 45 miles every day, 5 days a week. I drive a combination of city and interstate and when my battery worked 3 months ago, I got 40 plus mpg every day and perfect performance from the hybrid assist. Now that the weather is warm and my new battery is dying, I am averaging 35.8 mpg. When I got in my car this afternoon to drive home I knew that the battery was already quite hot and that I would have to pull out and accelerate up to match the speed of the traffic. My battery lasted about 10 minutes and then the hybrid assist began to die, along with the auto-stop function. By the time I got on the interstate (maybe 12 miles) I had no assist at all to merge. I had 4 bars of battery power but no boost. The battery couldn't hold the charge. When I got home, my battery showed a 75% charge. When I go to work in the morning the weather is cool and my battery is cool. It works in the morning and I can get my mpg up to around 38. Then my car sits in a blacktop parking lot for 8.5 hours in the sun in the south.
    A friend of mine drives a prius that has the solar cooling system, she has no problems whatsoever.
    I talked to an attorney last night and he thinks we have an excellent case for a class action suit. I also learned this morning that this problem has been brought to the attention of Consumer Reports.
    I visit the service center tomorrow morning and l will see what they have to say. I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon.