+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

I just want to update my

I just want to update my story that I started a few messages above. After driving my car for about 5 days, my dealer's Service Manager concluded that the software updates had not solved the problem ( I don't know that I have the very latest-- I got the same call as Timothy did right after I got home with the car) and despite the fact that the IMA light had never come on, that the IMA battery was failing and that they would replace it under warranty. This was done and at first glance the car is driving just as it did when it was new. Hopefully this will continue.

Had no problems or arguments with my dealer at all; their customer service could not have been better and it was clear that I was listened to and the problem taken seriously. I do appreciate them.

Since my car is a low mileage car ( 20K miles) I have to wonder if, 1) this is fundamentally a time-in-service issue rather than one of mileage and use. And, 2) if perhaps, some batteries are simply more equal than others.........

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2007 Civic hybrid

I have a 2007 Civic hybrid with approx. 37,000 miles. I have also experienced the problems with the battery charge meter dropping quickly from half or better charge to one bar in about 10 - 15 seconds. Like other posts above, the power and mileage drop significantly until the battery is recharged. I first experienced this only 2 - 3 times per year until this year. I thought nothing of it previously, but it has been happening about six times per week for the last three weeks. Today, on the way home from work, the battery tanked again, this time from a nearly full charge state. I have never seen an IMA warning light.

Today, when I got home, I had the Honda mailer in my mailbox. I'm concerned that my battery may be damaged. Does anyone know how to determine if a battery has been damaged, and what does Honda consider a "damaged" battery to be? I am also concerned that the new software may cause a further drop in mileage, as the letter indicates that the motor will run more often compared to the original software profile. I do plan to take it in to Honda in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, any information on how Honda is currently handling this issue will be appreciated. I've had dramatically different experiences with Honda service in the recent past (rear wheel alignment issues). Thanks.

I have a 2007 HCH and have

I have a 2007 HCH and have had the same battery problem as everyone else, it depletes quickly and my mpg's have been going down. Just got the letter from Honda regarding software update. Be curious to see if this does anything. Seems like my mileage will have to get worse as the engine will be running more.

Like Scott, I too received a

Like Scott, I too received a flyer in the mail stating that a software update to the IMA is needed to "correct" premature IMA battery failure. I am not going to get this update because if you read the details it basically says the update will cause the car to use its engine more and the battery less - READ you now will be getting WORSE MPG. This is ridiculous. The existing class action suit (which I believe was recently still being re-written after a judge rejected it) is already in existence because we were all lied to about the kind of gas mileage the HCH would get when we bought the car. All the ads and the sticker said it would get 50+MPG. I struggle with kid gloves to get 44MPG.

Now to avoid having to replace IMA batteries under warranty Honda wants to reprogram my car to get even worse gas mileage!!! I personally am going to find a good class action attorney - is anyone else in?!!

I too received this letter.

I too received this letter. A couple weeks back I noticed my 2008 HCH batteries charging and discharging erratically. I had brought it in to the dealer and he notified me that it needed a software update. After this software update I have noticed no improvement in performance. The batteries continue to charge and discharge erratically. In one half hour period of stop and go commuting on my way to work the battery charge will sometimes drop to 1 bar and at some later point reach 3/4 charge. Acceleration response is erratic, I either get the assist or I don't regardless of the level of charge on the battery. In a couple cases it seemed as if the car did not want to accelerate from a stopped position. This has put me in a dangerous situation more than once when trying to cross an intersection. Another interesting observation is that when I accelerate I expect to see the MPG status indicator to peg somewhere around 100 percent (or close to it) without Assist, instead it indicates close to zero. So how is it that the IMA batteries (@ 40-50 % charge) are assisting with engine acceleration if Assist indicator has no bars? This is telling me either the software patch isn't working or the batteries are failing or both. My fuel efficiency has not improved and instead I am seeing less MPG. I too am interested in a class action suit against Honda. Stephan, I will join you.

Owner of a 2006 HCH; alomost

Owner of a 2006 HCH; alomost 63K on the odometer. I got the letter...the big problem I've noticed in hot weather is akin to the kind of feeling you get with a badly slipping clutch, only I have an automatic. Mileage has never been anywhere close to what was advertised. My wife owns a 2008 Prius, and even though the Civic has some problems I like it much more than the Prius. In a year or so I intend to trade it for another hybrid...but probably not a Honda or Toyota.

Stephen, Couldn't agree more

Stephen,

Couldn't agree more with your comments. I have a 2006 civic hybrid and pretty much average 36mpg in the last 4 years. While I like the vehicle, the advertized mpg was not honest, and the recent letter I got telling me to do the software 'upgrade' is icing on the cake... I don't see at all how this upgrade is in our interests at all, instead it is 100% in Honda's interest since they know they have defective product. They admit in the letter that the 'battery may deteriorate and eventually fail before its noraml usable life is reached.' So we basically have to choose between 'normal battery life' and the current mpg we get. They need to live up to their end of the bargin by either comping us for a battery replacement or gas costs.

Please do keep us posted if you move forward on a class action.

James

Hi, i live in San Jose and

Hi, i live in San Jose and also have a 2005 HCH that i purchased used from my uncle in 2006 with already 55000 miles on it. i cant seem to get anything done with the HONDA dealers as i don't have the warranty anymore and they are charging a lot to so any kind of service. At first i did not have any problems with anything but just a year after i noticed the battery wouldn't charge completely and if kept in the hot sun depletes considerably. I never got more than 35-38MPG this whole time and believe me i have been driving like a grandma and trying to bring it back up. I went by HONDA and they said oh don't worry just reset it and it will come back up. YEAH RIGHT!! How many times do i have to do that? And my car is rattling and lurches when i slightly accelerate at the green light. URRGHH!! Also the weird thing that i haven't heard mention here is the interior plastic panel in the back of my car where it covers the speakers and the rear break-light are all cracked and crumbling due to sun damage. I have never seen this anywhere and the dealer says they cant say why it happened and i have to pay $400 to replace it. WHY?? Am i not supposed to leave my car in the sun? Is it my fault the plastic is crumbling like crackers? If i replace it what guarantee do i have that it wont happen again? GOD i used to love HONDA but i am at the end of my rope here with all the problems. If there is a class action suit i am in.

Just talked to American

Just talked to American Honda customer service they cant do anything.. they are asking me to talk to dealer but the dealer asked me to call the customer service and ask them whats what!?!?!? THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

WOW- MY LETTER CAME TODAY.

WOW- MY LETTER CAME TODAY. TO HELP PREVENT IMA BATTERY DETERIORATION THEY WILL UPDATE THE SOFTWARE. IT WILL "GREATLY IMPORVE THE LIFE OF THE IMA BATTERY". GOOD FOR THEM - MPG WILL DROP TO A REG. CIVIC MPG. WHY DID I BUY A HYBRID.
    I WAS GETTING 45 MPG. UNTIL LAST YEAR ON MY 07 CIVIC. THEN STARTED GETTING 35 MPG. BUT A LITTLE OF THAT HAS TO DO WITH THE HYDRO EDGE TIRES I PUT ON. THE RATING CLASS IS ONE HIGHER THEN THE ORG. TIRES SO THE CAR HAS TO WORK HARDER TO TURN THEM?????