+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It is my understanding the

It is my understanding the ME pump motor itself does not cause a DTC so replacing it may not clear any codes. There are 2 fuses #2 (10A) and #10 (30A) in the BJB you need to check. You can retrieve hybrid PCM DTC's and clear them with a scangauge but the only person I know who can tell you how is CarlD. If you look on http://www.cleanmpg.com/ in the FEH section you might find how to program your SGII. Take a look at this post by Carl and ask away. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21291

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hey Gary, I just took my

Hey Gary,

I just took my Ford HEV to Ken Grody Ford. For those of you in So Cal, Ken Grody Ford has two full-time hybrid technicians. SCORE!

First they suggested that my problems might be corrosion on my battery terminal (car battery not Hybrid batteries). They charged me a $170 hybrid diagnostic fee. Later they called me and said that the electric coolant pump (surprise surprise) had failed and that the DC converter was heating up and shutting down the EV systems.

Score one more for GaryG.

Total cost that they quoted me was approx. $560.

Bummer. I got my car back

Bummer. I got my car back and everything worked great for a bout 30 mins. Then the problem started again. The ICE just would not shut down.

The car has more power, however, but I think there's still something overheating and preventing the ICE from shutting down.

Besides the relay causing

Besides the relay causing the problem are you using "L" gear and is it hot where your driving when this happens? If your overheating the hybrid system using "L" this happens to me all the time when using "L" for heavy EV use. When this happens and I can't use "L" to go EV, I shift to "N" and tap the brake pedal 2 times lightly. Other than that, the wiring harness or harness pump connection could be bad. When you get overheating stop and check to see if the MECP is working by seeing if it's running with the key ON engine Off like I described how to refill the coolant in this tread.

Hey Gary, The car performs a

Hey Gary,

The car performs a LOT better than before, but I don't know what's up. When I drove it the first day, there was a trip where the car would not go into EV only mode, but it's been running fine lately.

The car has more power than before, but on my commutes to work (approx. 30-40 mins by freeway at 60-65mph), it seems to do ok for the first half and then have minor problems for the second half. The car will be fine and then go sluggish for a split second then resume again.

Towards the end of the commute I noticed that the car seems to be ok and then the RPMs will start creeping up to 2000 and then stay that way.

If I let go of the gas and then start again, the engine seems to get unstuck, perform ok for a while and then start the cycle again.

I'm suspecting the relay is bad or that the CVT isn't switching ratios properly. Another thought is that the pump they gave me is defective somehow, but not completely non-operational.

I'll drive it a day or two more and then take it back to them.

I'm not sure I understand how to tell if the MECP is working properly. I turn the key to ON (don't start the car) and then look for what kind of signs?

Oh and I'm not using 'L'.

Hey Everyone, The Ford

Hey Everyone,

The Ford dealer just called and said that the cooling fan inside my Hybrid battery box was faulty. They have to order the part and then see if that fixes my problems.

Let's hope that does the trick!

I almost forgot, at approx.

I almost forgot, at approx. 83000 miles and just under 5 years, the battery box fan is covered by my warranty. *WHEW*

Reading those comments you

Reading those comments you are talking about 2 different coolant pumps.
    The electrical system has one, and on my '05 it is located on the bottom of the radiator and is quite large.
    The the engine has a coolant pump to let you have heat when it is in EVC mode. It is half the size and located on drivers side of the radiator down low.
    I do not get heat when in EVC mode, however I hear both pumps running. Wondering it the engine's electric pumps impeler went bad.
    I can find the electronics water pump on their part listing but not the engine pump. I guess I'll have to swing in to a dealer to find out.

If you are not getting heat

If you are not getting heat while in EV and the electric heater pump is running, I would suspect the blend door in the duct work not opening to the proper position.

There is a belt driven coolant pump on your '05 FEH with part #8501 according to the '05 workshop manual in section 303-03B-21. Of course coolant stops flowing through the heater core when the engine is off and the electric heater pump runs to circulate coolant to the heater core when in EV. If your getting cabin heat when the engine is running and not when in EV, it could be the pump, blockage or by-pass valve causing the problem. Also, the electric heater pump will not run when the climate control switch is in the Off position.

Gary, Our '07 stopped last

Gary,

Our '07 stopped last Friday, and Downtown Ford here in Sacramento, CA is telling us it is the "hybrid coolant pump" and gave me part #8C419. They are also saying it IS NOT covered by the hybrid powertrain warranty. A call to Ford's customer service line got me the same answer. The dealer is telling me $900 (5 hours labor) to repair! This doesn't seem consistant with your description, so am wondering about the answer from the dealer. HELP