+ Reply to Thread

'09 2nd GEN NAV System

Now that I confirmed Fuel-Cut in my '09 FEH, I've been taking advantage of it more and I can see the results between the Nav sys average MPG go even lower than both SGII averages. I reset the SGII's with my first fill-up at 592.6 miles and my SG's showed an average of 46.4mpg and my Nav average was 44.3mpg, which was 2.1mpg lower. Since that time, I've used more fuel-cut techniques on average and can see a bigger difference in just 133.7 miles after the reset of all three Gauges. Now my SG's are reading 48.7mpg Tank averages and the Nav sys is reading a 46.4mpg, a 2.5mpg average lower than my SGII's.

One good thing that Ford changed in the new Nav sys was they increase the data memory so that the data does not drop off before an entire tank is used. My '05 FEH loses data after a little over 200 miles after a reset. The 40 Gig Map system and the 10 Gig song and picture system must have allowed Ford to increase the MPG average data also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Big surprise today on my way

Big surprise today on my way to fill-up my second tank on my '09 FEH. I thought I had plenty of gas left because I only had 37 miles past 0 MTE. In my '05 FEH, I have ~1.3 gallons left at 0 MTE and thought it would be near the same in the '09 FEH. I was wrong and ran out of gas about a half mile from the gas station (Sams Club). The engine died and I lost power to a max speed at around 20mph and the warning "Stop Safely Now" came on. I made it to the gas pump in EV with a SOC of ~35% remaining. Even had to come to complete stops at stoplights and still got going again. This was much different than when I ran out of gas in my '05 FEH a few years ago.

The total miles on the OD was 1301.1 when I made it to the gas pump today. The first fill-up by the dealer must have been much less that 15 gallons because I only made it to 592.6 miles and the gas needle began dropping within a few miles from delivery with 4 miles on the OD. This second tank lasted 708.5 miles before fill-up on an empty tank.

The Nav Sys. average read 46.4mpg and the trip was 708.5 miles before reset. The SGII Tank average read 49.0mpg with the miles at 706. This still means the two gauges are consistantly off by ~2.6mpg. The SGII read I used 14.4 gallons with .6 gallons TTE with a setting of a 15 gallon tank size. Now I'm leaning that both SGII's are reading DFSO too agressively. Has anyone compared DFSO in other models OEM gauges to the SGII? This would mean the Nav Sys is nearer to correct.

So far I've averaged 46.5mpg

So far I've averaged 46.5mpg on the first tank, 49.0mpg on the second tank, and have 48.7mpg so far on my present tank with 1751.4 miles. I expect to go at least 2,000 miles on the first three tanks of gas in my '09 Fwd FEHL.

One new technique I use on the '09 while the engine is running is to Pulse up slowly (1,600rpm's) ~3mph and Glide down ~3mph in Drive for partial Fuel-Cut. Traffic doesn't seem to notice this small change in speed, but I'm really getting good mileage with this technique. Of course driving in as much EV as possible is the best technique. These are Sgii readings and my Nav has shown 44.3, 46.4 and so far now, 46.2mpg. At any rate, these tank averages are much better than my '05 FEH during the hot summer here and the high winds caused by two recent hurricanes and tropical storms we had brushing my area. Also, you must take into account there are no rolling hills and I'm forced to use E-10 now. I'm now breaking all my '05 FEH records after break-in with straight gas and my '09 FEHL is far from break-in and I'm using E-10. The big change is I'm driving much faster speeds because of the strong 40mph EV speeds and lower RPM greater than 40MPH ICE speeds.

This is a good development

This is a good development the loss of data in the older ones before the tank becoming empty is an uncomfortable thing.Now the 09 NAV system has rectified the problem.

Now that I've finished my

Now that I've finished my 6th tank of gas and have averaged all the gas pumped back into the tank, I find the '09 Nav Sys average MPG reads ~4% high on every tank. The SGII is reading even much higher in the default setting of 0% than the Nav Sys. The Nav Sys MPG average cannot be adjusted to read the correct MPG, but the SGII can be.

Only for the '09 model of the FEH/MMH I recommend changing the default setting in the Tank Reset Screen to plus 11.1% to 12%. Right now on my present 7th tank with ~100 miles, I can see I'll need to increase my SGII Tank setting above 11.1%. I'm going to wait till I've finished the 7th tank to verify that 11.1% is not enough.

My 6th tank average was 48.06mpg according to gas pumped, but my Nav Sys tank average read 50.0mpg which was incorrect. This bring my FEHL lifetime MPG average from 0 miles from the factory to 44.974mpg. Click on this site and go to Hybrids to see my average. You can click on my vehicle or my name to view every tank logged so far by me:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&maxnum= All

An update on the '09 FEH Nav

An update on the '09 FEH Nav Sys and SGII adjustments. I've now got about 21 tanks over 14 months and can confirm the '09 Nav Sys reads 4% higher than pumped gas averages. My SGII is now set at a fuel-cut of 18 and a fuel tank off set at 12.5%. Because of the problem of getting a full 15 gallons into the tank at fill-up, I'm no longer trying and shutting the pump off at the 2nd click of the nozzle. This results in a 13.4 to 14 gallon tank fill most of the time.

I've learned some great hypermiling techniques for the '09 FEH and my lifetime MPG average will be ~49.7mpg after I add my present tank. It's crazy seeing a Nav Sys tank MPG reading of 56.7mpg when I know the real tank MPG is around 53.7mpg. This is on E10 and I can see the '09 FEH hitting a 60mpg tank on straight gas after break-in. The maximum Miles To Empty at fill-up only goes as high as 699 miles and I'm already seeing that at every fill-up now. At about a 1/4 tank gauge reading the MTE starts adjusting higher so the total miles on the trip OD to the adjusted MTE does exceed the 699 miles estimated at fill-up. With a fill-up of 15 gallons I can see the '09 FEH exceeding a 800 mile tank once the weather cools here in South Florida.

The '09 FEHL has exceeded my expectations in every regard and here is a link to my lifetime MPG averages:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewcar =2612