+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The other Water pump

The Toyota Prius has two water pumps. One for the gas motor and the other for the electric. They do not tell you about the second one and it is not part of the preventative. They just wait until it goes out and then you are stuck in the middle of no place. Mine went out at 90,000 miles. Just a week after I had the other one replaced with the timeing belt. It cost me $500 to get it replaced. All my idiot lights came on and I lost my air conditioning and the car started surging. So watch out and hey just get both of them replaced at once because the dealer will not tell you about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Just great. That reminds me

Just great.

That reminds me of the two fuel pumps my parentís Ď86 Volvo had. Why they couldn't design a single pump that would make it from the tank to the injectors is beyond me. But when one pump went out it was only a matter of months until the other went out.

Thanks for the info.

The second water

The second water pump/radiator/coolant reservor is actually for the inverter that inverts and rectifies electrcity for the drive motor. Battery runs on 200v dc and the drive motor is 3 phase AC.

Unfortunately there is no preventative maintenance for the water pumps. They just run until they die.

HOWEVER... there is preventative maintenance on the COOLANT. the coolant includes lubricant for the water pump, and should be changed every 2 years.

If you are not having service done at a Toyota dealer, make sure your mechanic changes the coolant in BOTH radiator systems. And uses the right type of coolant.

Assuming you don't drive

Assuming you don't drive many miles, I have to wonder if just adding water pump lubricant every two years would be sufficient.

I want a Prius, but reading this, I'm starting to wonder about the maintenance expense. I don't mind paying the extra 3 grand or so over the life of the car to be better for the environment AND roughly triple my real-world city mileage where I live (dense city traffic is 90% of my day-to-day driving).

OTOH, for maintenance on a traditional car, I go to Jiffy Lube a couple times a year and do what they (filtered by common sense) recommend. Until a Japanese car gets old - that works well.

If I'm going to have to spend many $hundreds/year on standard maintenance -- maybe I should just buy a Corolla-like car...

Any input from Prius owners?

So far I've only changed my

So far I've only changed my oil once.

The one thing you'll want to get is the electrical diagnostic insurance. If I remember right, it's $800 - $1,000. If something goes wrong with the hybrid system it's $100/hr to diagnose and fix. It only takes a day in the shop to come out even.

Otherwise, I don't expect maintenance to be horribly different than my wife's Scion.

I think having a good water

I think having a good water pump would be the key here. You should try to get things straight from the likes of the Felpro Brand and the like in order to get things right and straight. Hope all is well by now.

My 2006 Prius has over

My 2006 Prius has over 70,000 miles and has had no maintenance except new tires. It works great. The need for a $3,000+ battery in a few years proved to be false, and all Prius owners I have talked with have had very low maintenance with high mileage. My concern is that garages always want to do big jobs as preventive maintenance. I always check with other dealers and have even called Toyota headquarters for advice. Several times I have been told they need to change the transmission fluid and flush the Transmission. But you can't flush the CVT. Nothing needed to be done yet. I'll gladly do what needs to be done, but keep being suspicious of the need for big maintenance and always check first.

I've had my 2009 prius for

I've had my 2009 prius for about a year and a half, I got it from a certified dealer used. I do alot of driving and have put over 40,000 miles on it since it became mine. that being said, aside from routine oil changes I have only had one major expence which was the water pump (the expensive one which runs about $500) and the drive belt which was rotting and cost a little over $100. From what I have researched on my own this seems pretty standard for repair at this time in the cars life. When this became a problem all my lights came on at the same time and the air conditioner was surging as well. No noticable changes with the driving of the car and I got it the dealer same day. Lucky for me I opted for the advance warranty and only had to pay my $50 deductable for the pump. I wound't consider there to be yearly major car repairs as I haven't experienced this with my prius. I think I am actually coming out a head with this car considering all the money I have saved on gas and the amount of travel I've put on the car. Just thought I would share!

I have 82k miles on mine

I have 82k miles on mine 2007 prius. In the shop right now to replace both pumps and the drive belt. If you replace the drive belt when the pumps are replaced you shouldn't have to pay for labor because then are removing the pumps anyhow. The part is only $35. My extended warranty expires next yr. It covered both pumps

We figure we've saved 4513

We figure we've saved 4513 gallons of gas in 133,425 miles just averaging 40mpg (we do little city driving and have lead feet...lol) driving our 2005 Prius over our other cars which get about 17 mpg. Figure that at your local rate and you'll have more than enough to replace just about everything on the car including the hybrid battery and still have lots of $$$ left over. Heck, the savings equal over half the cost the car!!! The discipline comes in putting aside the savings in gas for those repairs or a down on the next one! Hope this reply is till useful even if your question was 3 years ago...