+ Reply to Thread

Real Concerned about Hybrid Car Maintenance

Hi Everyone,

I'm really concerned about how to get my 2005 Ford HEV's Hybrid systems serviced.

I've been to my local Ford dealer several times now and each time their ONLY Hybrid tech has not been there. He's also always backed up.

The dealer wanted me to leave my Ford HEV with them but wasn't able to tell me when it would even be diagnosed, let alone repaired.

I think this is TOTALLY unacceptable. There should always be someone who can diagnose the HEV's Hybrid systems. It's ridiculous to have to leave a car overnight and possibly longer than that to even get the car's Hybrid parts diagnosed.

The issue with my car was an engine overheat. That sounds like a REALLY bad thing. On top of all this, Ford no longer provides loaner vehicles for their customers.

So how would I be able to get to work without a car for the week or so that it could take to diagnose/fix my vehicle?

That's totally outrageous.

Any thoughts/suggestions/other experiences would be welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

BTW, experiences from Toyota

BTW, experiences from Toyota Prius owners would also be welcome since I'm seriously considering a Prius for my next Hybrid.

I love my Ford HEV, but if service is going to continue to be this difficult, I can't see myself buying another Ford HEV.

Our dealer allows us to make

Our dealer allows us to make an appointment for our hybrid's service -- ask yours to do this and if they do not, politely ask if they know Ford's contact number for their hybrid team so you can check to see if this is a normal policy, and if they can require the dealer to provide a loaner if the vehicle needs warranty service. Our dealer has always been exceptionally responsive -- much more so than two foreign car dealers (Mercedes and VW) we have worked with.

That's really good to know,

That's really good to know, Thanks!

I won't use this dealership anymore, but hopefully I'll have better luck with another Ford dealership.

I did make an appointment, but I was politely told that appointments are "drop off times" and nothing more.

I'll have to follow up on the Hybrid team contact number.

Unfortunately, or

Unfortunately, or fortunately, neither of our family's 2007 Priuses needed anything but simple filter/oil changes so special techs have not been needed at all. Priuses have been notoriously reliable.

A certified technician

A certified technician should always work on a hybrid car. The high voltage is a serious issue when working on them. a 12.6 volt (average) battery cant hurt you but these cars have large orange wires containing 200 plus volts. 3 seconds of touching the wrong place will cause your heart to stop and be fatal. I am training to be a tech and was advised to get certified before even opening the hood!

I can tell you that a hybrid

I can tell you that a hybrid car is more difficult and expensive to maintain than a normal car. I have the last model of Conversion Van and I am very happy with it. I went to an auto service just one in three years, because I wanted to check it. Think about it!