+ Reply to Thread

Air Bag Light?

Hi all.
    I just got my oil changed at about 44k miles and the guy was trying to convince me to get the $300+ 45k service... I declined - and then a week later my airbag light went on. I was wondering if somehow the guy might have tweaked something to encourage me to go in... Or maybe something really is wrong? Any thoughts? (would a light on mean that my airbags aren't going to go on in a crash?)

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

If the light is staying on,

If the light is staying on, it means there is a fault with the sensor. It could either not go when it should or go off when it shouldn't.

Some shops really push extra repairs. I stopped going to one shop because one time I went in and they told me I needed a new belt. 3 months later when I went for my next oil change they told me the same thing.

I'd take it somewhere else to have it checked. I don't know if airbag sensors are warranteed.

I'll correct myself. I

I'll correct myself. I double checked.

When the light it on, the system disables itself. So there is no risk of it popping out at random.

What year is your Honda

What year is your Honda Civic Hybrid? '06 or later? If so I'd just follow the Maintenance Minder. Not sure about pre '06 (if that applies to you), maybe they only lay out a mileage and/or time schedule, in the Owners Manual?

In either event, *no one* can fault you for just following Honda's recommendation. I'm not saying it's the last word on maintenance, I do a few of my own maintenance items well ahead of schedule, plus a few things not even mentioned, but there should be no major issues or warranty voids due to sticking to the Honda specified maintenance.