+ Reply to Thread

Replacement Tires??

We may need to replace the tires on our '06 FEH this coming winter. The originals are generally OK, but seem to lack traction, and I've read literature saying the mileage gain is fairly small.

-Does anyone have experience with replacement tires?
    -If you have used non-original tires, how did this effect your mileage and driveability?
    -Has anyone read published tests which quantify the mileage gain of low-resistance tires?

Thanks and warm wishes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

My certified Hybrid mechanic

My certified Hybrid mechanic said it is best to replace all four because of the way they wear. if the back tires are uneven from the front it can cause problems.

I highly recommend replacing

I highly recommend replacing the stock Eco-Plus tire with the new Michelin Latitude Tour tires that Ford had Michelin design for the '09 FEH. I have them on my '09 FEH and replaced two on my '05 FEH and will replace the other two when the Eco- plus wear out on the rear of the '05 FEH. This is a much better tire all around. Check on-line with Tire Rack for the best price.

I put two Cooper Discoverer

I put two Cooper Discoverer CTS tires on my '06 FEH 4WD after a nail in the sidewall ruined one of the Contis. They were about $60 less for each than the Michelin Latitute Tour and have similar or better ratings. So far I am very pleased with the tires. They are very quiet. My impression is that the rolling resistance is significantly less than the Contis as I notice I have to brake much more than before. I am going to have to adjust my driving and back off the throttle earlier. Some people have reported quality problems with the Coopers but it will take some time to tell about that aspect. At this point, I plan to put the Coopers on all my SUVs when I need tire replacements.

Comment from the original

Comment from the original poster:

FWIW, after 36,000 miles we purchased a set of Goodyear Triple Tread Fortera's, and have noticed a significant jump in the handling, the quietness, and the braking of our FEH compared with the original Conti's. We have not noticed any difference in gas mileage, probably because of variation in our trips, but all the parameters (like when the engine kicks in while accelerating or coasting) seem identical. We have not had a chance to test out the traction in the snow, sand, or rain yet, but we are sure they will be far better (lack of traction and braking were two reasons we began looking for a better tire). Researching on Tire Rack, we found the Conti's had a rating of 5.5 while the Fortera's were around 8.5 -- clearly a much better tire. According to Goodyear's research, their "eco-tire" would only save about 3 gallons each 1000 miles. On a national level this may be significant (although we can "save" that much gas by driving more slowly or combining trips), but on an individual level, it hardly makes up for the extra safety and stability of the better tires.

Thanks for the comments from those who posted answers to our question.

With the Michelins I ran 7.x

With the Michelins I ran 7.x last year, with the Triple Treads it's now 8.x. However, the weather has been a lot cooler and wetter this summer, which would account for some of the diff.