+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bizzare problem

bizzare problem

I drive an 08 HCH, 36,000 miles on it now. Yesterday was a pretty hot day here - got up to 100F. On my way to work in the morning everything was fine. Drove 48 miles and averaged 63 mpg. Coming back something strange started happening. The left turn indicator would come on, both the actual outside light and the interior indicator. It wouldn't blink, just be lit. It came on all by itself, without me touching the lever. While the light was on, the AC did not work. The light was on most of the time, regardless of what I was doing. When I was stopped at a red light and the auto stop was on, I could hear that the electric engine was cycling on and off, with a light shutter, kind of like when I start the car. As it cycled, the turn signal would blink, and the AC would give me a puff of cold air, and then the signal would be back on. I got home, scheduled an appointment at the dealer, and when I got back into my car the problem persisted for about a mile, and then stopped. Today it only did it once on my way home from work. I tried various driving styles to replicate the problem. The one time it happened today was when I got the battery down to 4 bars, with the AC running at max. However that was not the case yesterday, when this behavior lasted my entire 1.5 hour drive home.

The car is now at the dealer, but I have no faith that they will either be able to replicate the problem or find a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

One more thing, the was in an accident over a year ago. I was rear ended pretty hard. Not sure if that has anything to do with it either. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a short circuit.

Sounds like a short circuit. You probably have a couple wires somewhere under the dash interfering with each other. I doubt it has anything to do with the hybrid system.

I had an old wrangler, the left turn signal would light up when I put my foot on the break. But it wasn't serious enough to track down.

I left out one other piece

I left out one other piece of info which led me to believe that it did have to do with the hybrid system. On my way home I only got 38 mpg the lowest since it was like -20 outside.

It could be that the

It could be that the compressor was engaged and the blower was shorted out. Which would put the power drainage on the system, lowering the mileage, but give you none of the benefits of the cool air.

But I'm guessing.

I'm also hoping its under warranty.