+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hi Tyler The way you check

Hi Tyler

The way you check the electronics coolant pump is to turn the key to On (do not start the FEH). The pump is located under the radiator so you can lye on your back and listen to hear if it's running. There are two electric pumps there and the smaller one is for the heater and only runs in EV to heat the cabin when the belt driven water pump stops with the engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Replaced the circuit that

Replaced the circuit that controls the battery's internal fan twice now ( both times after the 35 thousand mile mark) on my bought new 2006 FEH. Believe me, this almost 300.00 repair is not covered under the battery's 100K warranty.

Then when I asked why this part wore out so often, I was told "it just does".

My 2006 FEH is a great car. Ford unfortunately, sucks!

Hi Dennis The battery fans

Hi Dennis

The battery fans are covered under the 100K warranty but the dealerships wrongly list the fan part numbers for repair. The dealer must list the battery assembly part number so Ford will fix the fans to save replacing the battery for $7,000 plus labor. A poster discovered this about 4 months ago and the dealerships have been doing the work now under warranty. Go back to your stealership and get your money.

We bought a used 2005 FWD

We bought a used 2005 FWD FEH 3 years ago. My wife was driving it about 20 city and highway miles per day to work and back. According to the MPG display and our calculations, were averaging 34 - 36 MPG. Then my wife retired and we started driving it more for short trips around town. About that time we took the car in to the dealer and had a bunch of little things fixed (including replacement of the radio) and the MPG display reset to zero. The MPG slowly built up but that was over a year ago and we haven't gotten above 27 MPG since. I can't tell any difference in the performance. The tires are nitrogen filled and at last check they were at the right pressure. Sure is interesting that "T" said in his or her post that the mileage dropped after taking it to the dealer and amoung other things replaced the radio. I appreciate any clues you may have.

KR

I'm considering buying a 06

I'm considering buying a 06 Escape Hybrid 4WD. Reading this thread is an education. Still, I'd like to confirm some terminology: does FEH mean Ford Escape Hybrid? Does HV mean High Voltage? What does DTC mean? Is it some sort of Technical Service Bulletin? What is Hypermilling technique? Should I be concerned about the battery's cooling fan? (I didn't know such a fan existed.) How do I get that fan checked out?
    Thanks for all the info all of you have already shared.

FEH - Ford Escape Hybrid HV

FEH - Ford Escape Hybrid

HV - High Voltage

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code (On Board Diagnostic System of a fault condition)

Hypermiler - Someone who can maintain or exceed the combined EPA rating of a vehicle. Techniques used are often standard but can unique to a vehicle like the FEH. See cleanmpg.com for more details.

A problem with the battery fans (2) is rare and is covered by the hybrid warranty 8yrs/100,000 miles in general. A DTC by a special Ford Scan Tool or a programmed SGII. The fans are located inside the sealed battery housing.

Hi, I just bought an '08

Hi, I just bought an '08 Ford Awd Hybrid that had 54,000 when we purchased it. We bought it in mid Nov 10 and now have 61,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on and we were told it needs a Canister valve $210.00. I guess this seems reasonable but what I am wondering is: those it make sense to keep the extended warranty I bought for 3yrs/36,000 since we are doing about 3,000 miles a month? I called the dealer to cancel and they said they would extend the warrany to 5yrs/60000 which would start now at no extra cost. Are consumers seeing alot of expense issues on these used Hybrids?

Thanks

Great Gary - you hit it on

Great Gary - you hit it on the head - not the vehicles fault if you don't get good gas mileage - it is the driver. My '05 is getting better and better - even the little wife driving 50 mile round trip to work gets 33-34 MPG, on the freeway in the morning and back roads in the afternoon.

Phillip

Hi Phillip My wife drives

Hi Phillip

My wife drives the '05 to work now and I have to make-up her bad MPG tanks on weekends. I'm in the 33-34 MPG average range with that vehicle also. I more than make-up the difference in my '09 FEH which has a lifetime average of over 53mpg and growing every tank. I punched out 63.4mpg on my last tank which I never thought was possible until now. I let no one drive my '09 but me!

My wife will get the 2011 Explorer in a few weeks and my son will get my '05 FEH. He hates the '05 because it has no get up and go power on E10. I'll drive the new Explorer on weekends to make up the bad tanks my wife and son get when they drive it. My son is already licking his chops to gets some nights out with his friends in the new Explorer.

We have a 2008 2WD FEH - it

We have a 2008 2WD FEH - it has approx. 68K miles on it now and at the 60K service we had the transmission serviced. I can't say that our gas mileage changed immediately at that point - but it did soon after. I mentioned this to the dealer at the last service and they said that everything checked out fine.

My concern is that until about 5 months ago we regularly saw 34 -35 MPG on the display and with a fill-up it would show just about 500 miles to the next fill up. Now the best mileage I see is 32 MPG or lower and on a fill up the max range is usually about 420 miles. I see this as a significant change in mileage and I notice that I do have to accellerate more to maintain crusing speed.

Could the transmission service have something to do with this?

Mike