+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Test drove my used '06 4WD

Test drove my used '06 4WD FEH just yesterday. Drove it like a car (only way I know how). Slowly, crept up to low 20s. Ford dealer ran diagnostics, and the battery had a low charge and dirty contacts. Also, it didn't help that I ran max ac due to the hot weather, and traffic was creepingly slow.

I was concerned about this initially, but I think there are several logical explanations. Probably had e10, tires were all-weather and flat, had roof rack, battery issues as above, hadn't been diven in a while so battery wasn't holding charge; as a result, the electric drive wasn't engaging as much (even without max ac), and assist wasn't really kicking.

This is a useful forum for when I take delivery.

Being a simple minded guy, I don't really understand the technical terms, but I think I get the basic idea of hybrid driving:

1) shift to L before decelerating (easing gas pedal) or braking if you have time to increase battery charge (especially during morning ride in to work).

2) switch to pure electric (double tap trick) for the ride home at the end of the day.

To put things in perspective; I just test drove a new Lincoln MKZ (non-hybrid) which is considered to be a good entry-level luxury car (also made by Ford based on the new fusion platform), and it did 20 at best in mixed driving. The '06 FEH is a much more comfortable and smoother ride, difference is night and day, so if the worst it'll do is 20s I'll take that! The 4wd is rated for 28 (although people seem to have bested that); seems easily achievable with optimization/tune-up and minor changes in my driving habit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I would be concerned if the

I would be concerned if the HV battery wiring harness was replaced. We're seeing problems with the battery internal fans not working causing the battery to over heat causing electric motor Assist problems and EV to stop working after the battery pack gets hot. This is very expensive to repair! A Ford dealer ran a diagnostics check and missed this problem DTCs POA81 and POA96 with a poster and I had him check for the codes with a Scan Gauge II. He got the code POA81 so I told him to make the dealer repair it which they did under his extended warranty. Your battery problem sounds serious to me.

The electronics coolant pump is another issue that causes the hybrid components to overheat so make sure it's working properly.

Now you got me concerned!

Now you got me concerned! Shouldn't the dealer haven't gotten these codes when they ran diagnostics? truck ran smooth, and engine turned over great. shouldn't the DTCs P081 and P0A96 trigger the red triangle stop and pull over safely now message?

i'm pretty sure the hybrid component is covered under warranty still.

I've tried to help two

I've tried to help two people with this problem in a '05 & '06 FEH. No sign of codes or red triangle just problems like you are seeing. Here is the thread: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...83/index4.html

There was a "Customer Satisfaction" notice from Ford that I got for my '05 FEH. Ford said a wiring harness in the HV battery had to be replaced before a certain date so I took my '05 to the dealer and had it replaced. That recall has expired and Ford makes the owner pay for the repair now. I think the wiring harness may be causing the problems with the fans. If the '06 FEH owner had that work done, the battery should still have the 8yr 100,000 mile hybrid warranty. Your electronics coolant pump is not covered after 3yrs/36,000 mile warranty. Read that entire thread and let me know if you have any problems or more questions.

Read both threads. I'll

Read both threads. I'll have to speak to a hybrid tech tommorrow, and arrange for an appointment to get this looked into, will report back.

Just to summarize the 2 cases for the benefit of anyone looking this up.

The guy from Jordan with an '05 reports being able to use EV during the morning cool air, but reports that during the afternoon, the battery charges up, but does not provide EV due to overheating. Bought in used shipped in from the US,

The guy stateside with an '06, that didn't engage in EV after having driven it regularly for a while. Bought in new.

In both cases, initial checks were normal, but scangauge came back with codes for non-working battery fans. One got replaced with extended warranty (should also be covered under the hybrid warranty since it is definitely a hybrid component; although you do allude to the fact that this may be dependent on having followed through with the voluntary battery harness recall; probably not something that ford can enforce in the court of law!).

Will update here once I hear back. The car I'm dealing with has NOT been driven regularly for several months. Situation I am dealing with is slightly different. The battery contacts are filthy, and the EV mode DOES engage when maxac is off and if car is at the appropriate speeds and rpm. In highway driving or with maxac, hybrid mode kicks in 80-90% of the time with momentary lapses into pure ICS to charge the battery.

I suspect that I am dealing with a deconditioned battery that will either need replacement or conditioning.

Which recalls have you had

Which recalls have you had fixed on your Escape. Mine is a 2005 Escape also and it says the electric motor has been overheating with messages every now and then to pull over safely or something like that. Not sure whats wrong but would like to know if it is with a recall. Currently i have only used one recall that i know of. Thanks for your time and response.

No recall for that issue,

No recall for that issue, you need to check your electronics coolant pump.

Gary, I'm having the same

Gary,

I'm having the same overheating warning issue but havent reached a shut down issue (yet!)

Key on, engine off, there is what I assume to be the pump running at the base of the radiator. If the pump is running can it still be the issue or do I need to look at something else?

thanks

If you have a SGII there are

If you have a SGII there are ways to determine what the problem is. There are three things that can overheat - electronics coolant, engine coolant and the HV battery. If your electronics pump runs and it sounds like it does, your engine coolant may be getting to hot. If your battery is getting to hot for EV, the fans inside may have quit. A scangauge II can tell you your engine temp and also find codes that can evaluate you battery fans and eCVT motor temp.

I suggest you check the electronics coolant pump when you get an overheat light because they can run and then stop sometimes because of a short in the wiring.

By check to you mean look at

By check to you mean look at it under the hood or take it to a dealer? Cause im already taking it to a dealer but i dont have a clue where it is under the hood.