+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ford Escape Hybrid with poor MPG

I have a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4x4 w/ roughly 70,000 miles. It is averaging around 25mpg; I am concerned because I also have a Mercury Mariner Hybrid averaging 30mpg, so I wonder what's wrong w/ my Escape. The system check didn't reveal any issues. Should I take it to the dealer to have the hybrid system checked out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

You have not gave us enough

You have not gave us enough information regarding trip distance, drivers, was there a sudden drop in MPG, do both hybrids use the same gas or E10, A/C use, is your MMH a AWD and what year is it, are the tires the same and have the same PSI? All these things need to be addressed.

The M/E cooling pump also may be causing heat issues that some times don't give codes or warning lights. Some people drive the '05 AWD and are happy with getting 25mpg and don't want to use Hypermiling techniques to improve mileage.

I also have a 2005 Escape

I also have a 2005 Escape Hybrid and average about 25 mpg. I think the 4X4 affects it and also the way you drive. The newer model also may have been improved to do better than the first ones that came out.

For what it's worth. 2005

For what it's worth. 2005 was the first year they did the hybrid on the Escape's. I have one, my mother has one, and I know of 2 others in my area that all bought ours with-in 3 months of each other that year. They seem to have been Ford's joke on us. Not only will your mileage never be what was advertised despite your driving habits. But, you will find that the coolant pump is a waste of metal as it usually has to be replaced every 50,000-70,000 miles (at $500-$700 a crack). And, the u-joints in the steering column (if you have the adjustable column) will go bad about every 8-10 months (depending on how often you drive the vehicle).
    If you really want a good Ford hybrid they seem to have worked out most the bugs by the 2007 model. I am the only one of 6 people that I know that purchased this model that has been dumb enough to keep it. And (of course) I am getting ready this weekend to replace my 4th cooling pump.
    If you keep this vehicle about all you can do is make sure you keep track of the recalls and get them ALL done. Especially since the wiring recall is known to set your vehicle on fire.

I recently purchased a 2006

I recently purchased a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. With the AC on, I have been getting about 22.8 mpg in the city. With the AC off, it goes up to 25.4. On the highway it averages 27.5 mpg. I was surprised that the city mpg has been so much lower than what the PR says. All the ads for the year Escape tout 32+ mpg! Can the car be set up to get better mileage - low resistance tires, higherair pressure in the tires, etc?

I have a '05 FWD FEH with a

I have a '05 FWD FEH with a lifetime MPG of 45mpg on straight gas but Florida went to E10 gas in '08. My '09 FWD FEH gets even better mileage and I have a lifetime MPG average with 12,400 miles of 49.1 and growing:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewcar =2612

The best mileage depends how you drive and if you have poor driving skills, city driving will be the worst. Highway driving will yield better mileage with poor driving skills because there are fewer ways to kill mileage because of changes in speeds. Also, some drivers in city driving run the A/C on MAX because they don't want the engine to shutdown because the interior temperature gets to warm.

I buy hybrids to get the most mileage out of a SUV which I need for space. I know what causes bad mileage and how to drive for the best mileage. I get much better mileage in the city (65mpg) than the highway (45mpg) so I try to stay off the highway as much as possible. You must understand how the hybrid system works in order to get the best mileage out of it. The MAX sidewall pressure on the factory tires is 44psi but 50psi is what I run for better MPG, handling, wear, safety and hydroplaning.

Don't complain about mileage until you understand about how to get better mileage. There could be problems with the vehicle like engine problems, tires, alignment, and other systems causing problems also. If I see a sudden drop in MPG I can find the problem right away by knowing my vehicle.

Michael, 22-25 mpg is a

Michael, 22-25 mpg is a little low. First, if it's a 4x4 model, you won't get exceptional mileage: even the newest 4x4 FEH is rated at 28 mpg combined, so getting upper 20's is in the ballpark.

On the freeway, reduce cruising speed just a bit: a 5 MPG decrease will barely affect your travel time but will make a BIG difference in MPG--try it you'll see!

In the city, you see the effect of A/C already. The other best advice is probably to REDUCE AGGRESSIVENESS--coast to red lights, stops, and be smooth with accelerations. Every time you accelerate, you use up quite a bit of gas, and you only get some of it back with regen.

One other thing: older Escape HEVs cannot turn off the engine when A/C is running, and A/C always runs in defrost mode--Only use defrost mode when necessary for max mpg and EV mode driving.

as always, make sure your car is well-maintained and check tire pressure.

hopefully, with some changes you can get up close to 30 mpg in both city and highway, and that's about right for a '06 FEH.

Hello - I have a 2005 FEH

Hello -

I have a 2005 FEH AWD with about 50,000 miles, and I'm averaging around 21 MPG city, 23 MPG highway -- and hypermiling techniques don't seem to help. When I purchased the car (used), it was getting about 28-29 MPG, but the fuel economy started to plummet after leaving the car at a dealership for a 45,000 mile oil change and rear tire change. All tires are currently inflated to 35 PSI. Given the city-highway MPG numbers, one might think the electric motor simply isn't working, but I still manage all-electric drive at low speeds, so I know that's not the case. I've had the dealership examine the car twice, and both times they've found nothing wrong (and they claim they're managing 30 MPG when they test it; for all I know, they're just driving around their lot at 20 MPH without really engaging the ICE). What's strange is that, on the first occasion that I picked up the car from the service center, the MPG display really did say 30 MPG -- but it proceeded to fall down to the low 20s the moment I turned on the car (without even shifting to drive). Any ideas? Could the new tires really account for this dramatic drop? I also had a new stereo installed around this time; might the stereo wiring somehow affect the controllers that dictate electric/ICE distribution?

Many, many thanks!
    T

Tire type and air pressure

Tire type and air pressure can greatly effect mileage. The original tires are low roll resistant (Eco-Plus) and I highly recommend the new Michelins that now come on the '09 and '10 Escapes.

Another big drop in mileage can be caused by overfilling the oil. I had this happen and found my oil was a quart higher than it should have been. The drop in mileage was right away and it continued till I drained the oil and replaced it with the right amount of new oil. The high oil level causes the crank shaft to splash to much oil around the cylinders causing to much drag on the engine. The oil level should be right in the middle of the dipstick between H & L, not near the high mark.

Great, thanks Gary! I'll

Great, thanks Gary! I'll take a look at the new tires and the oil level. Best, T