+ Reply to Thread

Does Smart Key still exist?

I had an 06 prius that had small black touch pads on the door handles, when you got out you could push the touch pad on the door handle and all doors locked. When you walked up to car with key fob in pocket and touched the door handle it opened all doors. You could keep the key fob in your pocket and still start car without putting the key fob in the key slot.

I bought an 08 used and this is not on it. I thought i had an entry level car and assumed it did not come on it.

Researching the new 2010' prius they all seem to have a "smart key and remote keyless entry", but looking at them on the lot, i did not see this black touch pad.

Did toyota dump this feature after 06 or am I missing it when I look at other vehicles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure on the 2009

I'm pretty sure on the 2009 it's not a standard feature. I can remember if it was part of package 3 or 4. Mine is a package 4 and has it.

Also, there are buttons

Also, there are buttons under the steering wheel that turn it off and on. But if it had the feature, it should at least have the lock button.

On the '08 Pruis, Smart Key

On the '08 Pruis, Smart Key was included in Option Packages 3 and up. The base model Prius used the same Key-Fob for the ignition, but
    you had to actually put the keyfob IN the slot in the dash (like an ignition key) to start the car.

The 2010 Prius does have

The 2010 Prius does have smart key. I don't know about the black touchpad in the previous models. By grasping the door handle (either driver's or front passenger's in Pkg IV and V), the door will unlock, or by opening the trunk all the doors unlock. Also, there are 2 little indents on the front of the handle on the driver's and front passenger's door handles. By touching this, all doors lock.