+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 Prius getting 36-37 MPG

I know this is similar to another topic. I bought my Prius new (8 miles on the odometer) and I have not seen the overall milage go above 37 mpg since then. I drive both city and highway miles. I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about it getting too cold. I do drive a bit aggressively, but I should be getting better milage than this. I do come to a slow stop when possible. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but a friend of mine who has had the Prius for years told me she has never seen her MPG drop below 45. Being so new I haven't had an oil change yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Prius has horsepower! If you

Prius has horsepower! If you stomp the gas, you can definitely get low mileage.

That being said, the Prius has a computer memory. The car analyzes your particular driving style, and optimizes it's performance to your driving style.

I drive mostly in the city. When I take a long distance highway trip, my mileage improves about 5-8mpg after I've been on the road for 200 miles. The car's computer adapts to the new conditions.

Learn to take it easy on the throttle, and let the car get used to you.

Also, if your fuel is highly oxygenated (for high pollution areas) that will eat into your mileage a little.

Sorry, forgot one other

Sorry, forgot one other item. Alot of mechanics just automatically inflate ALL tires to 30psi. Prius tires have been running at 45psi. Don't know about the 2010 model. But check your tire sidewalls and make sure you have enough air in the tires.

Low tire pressure can really eat into your mileage.

I have found that four

I have found that four things kill my mileage (I've had mine 2 months or so).
    1. Rapid acceleration. You want moderate acceleration. Try to keep your mpg in the 20s duri g acceleration.
    2. Speeding. I just gotback from a roadtrip to Yellowstone. Lots of open interstate with 75mph speed limits. I get horrible mileage over 65mph.
    3. A/C. Turn it on and your mpg will go down.
    4. Short trips. You get your worst mileage in the first 5 minutes of driving, until the engine warms up.
    5. Don't use B-gear unless driving down steep grades (of which I imagine there are none in FL).

I upped my tire pressure to 3psi over the recommended. Go too high over the recommended psi and your have a rougher ride and shorten tire life.

Work on your gliding and warp-gliding when going over 45mpg. Gliding is no arrows. Warp-gliding is arrows from the ICU to the battery and the wheels, and having minimal pressure on the accelerator (great for freeway driving). Maximizing glide and warp-glide times will greatly I prove your mileage.

By working on the glide and warp-glide I can regularly get 55 - 59mpg for a tank.

Just for the record, the

Just for the record, the Prius Air conditioning is electric, running off the 200V propulsion battery. So using AC drains the battery.

The "B" mode is compression braking, similar to the truck's Jake Brakes, but nowhere near as loud.

Using B mode SHUTS OFF the regenative braking that recharges the battery as you stop.

B mode is ONLY for very long, downhill grades where your battery is almost fully charged. It is used to reduce wear on the mechanical brake pads.

People, "rottiepaws" lives

People, "rottiepaws" lives in Florida! Running the AC during summer months is probably not optional..
    Just might have to live with lower mileage during the summer if the AC is what's killing it...

???????? ?????

???????? ????? ?? ???????? ?????? ????????? ???????? ?? ??? ???? ????????????? ????????, ???????????????? ? ???????????? ??????? ??? ?????. ???? ???????? ???? ????????? ???????????, ??????? ??????? ????? ????????????? ?????? ? ????? ????? ? ???????????? ???????. ????? ????????? ?????????? ? ??????????? ? yandex, ??????????? ?? ??????, ???????? ?????, seo ??????????? ? ?????????? ????????? ?? ????? ?????.
    <a href=http://gostlinks.ru>??? ? ???????? ?? ???????? ??????</a>

B-gear doesn't shut off

B-gear doesn't shut off regenerative breaking, but it can make it less efficient. I used it all over Yellowstone 1.5 weeks ago. I have discovered, though, that if the battery is less than half charged, it seems to recharge the battery with regen braking normally. But if more than half charged, it wastes a significant portion of the regen braking.

It was great, though. There is this stretch of road north of Dunraven Pass on the Grand Loop. I got 100mpg for 20 minutes.

But I digress.

The AC shouldn't take him all the way down to 36mpg. I drove 220 miles from Salt Lake to Wendover and back yesterday. My speed was roughly 78mph and I had the AC on (because I was driving through the desert). I still averaged 43mpg for the trip.

It seems to me that a number like 36-37mpg is probably more due to aggressive driving than anything else.

They must be driving at

They must be driving at 85-90mph to get mileage that low.

I have a 2009 prius and live

I have a 2009 prius and live in South Florida. I drive slow(under posted speed limits) and with the air conditioner on I only get 34.5 mpg. I have 3200 miles on my prius. I am extremely upset over my gas mileage. I had a 2007 prius that I always got over 50 mpg. Last week I went to the dealership and inquired on this. I was told that my car isnt even broken in yet.Also, with 10% ethanol in the gasoline that it is keeping my gas mileage low.They also filled my tires with nitrogen. Nothing helps!!!