+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Haz-Mat concerns

Hi There:

Last weekend during the Easter get get together, I announced that I would be driving a 09 Ford Escape Hybrid. My brother in-law immeditaly said that my insurnace would go up because a Haz-mat unit would be called out in the event of an accident.

I do know that my insurance will increase, I currently drive a 92 Rodeo, which is still strong by the way, by the gas milage is a litle excssive. The increase is do to the cost of replacment parts. I confirmed this with my insurnace agent before making the decision.

I guess I need to know how true the Haz-MAT part is. There is very little on the net about this. There is more information on how first responders are to deal with the wiring and high voltage componets of a hybrid car then the potential battery contamination leaking all over the pavment.

Anyone have facts about this, I'm not too intreseted in opinions, I don't care what anyone "thinks" about this subject. I just need you know the potential forthe endangerment of lives in an accident should occur.

Thanks
    -paul

Hi Paul I'm a disabled

Hi Paul

I'm a disabled Battalion Chief from Palm Beach County Fire Rescue and this is the first I've heard that a Haz-Mat team is send to any or all hybrid accident automatically. This is also news to me about insurance rates are increased with Hybrids because mine hasn't. In fact, some ins companies offer a 10% discount (I think Travelers is one) on hybrid cars.

Some of the larger fire departments like mine do have Haz-Mat vehicles and teams, but there are so many smaller fire dept. that don't. The hazards of hybrid vehicles are not that different from any vehicle carrying hazards like gas and chemicals that most firefighters are trained to handle. The term Haz-Mat has now evolved into what we call "Special Operations" and these folks can't be called out to every auto accident involving a hybrid. These guys have special equipment, vapor suits, testing equipment and work hand in hand with other Special Operations teams like the Police Bomb Squads or Dive Teams. We don't call Special Operations when we have a down power line that's sparking. I'm sure if these teams start charging for their services, Auto Insurance Company's would delete or limit the coverages.

Ask your brother in-law if he's heard or seen any news of any special problems or injuries involving hybrid vehicles. I haven't myself and there are thousands on the road today. As far as the cost of repair, a $30,000 hybrid vehicle is not the most expensive car on the road either. I have notice some FEH's being totaled by insurance companies when damage may include hybrid components like the HV battery and eCVT. Some of these hybrids are sold to salvage companies, repaired, and placed back on the road or parted out on places like Ebay.

If word gets out that the Auto Insurance Industry starts raising rates on Hybrids, the media would be all over the story real fast. Relax Paul, hybrids are the future and have no extra dangerous hazards as non-hybrids can because protection is already provided in Hybrid designs.

GaryG

Being a friend of many

Being a friend of many people at ConEd. I understand and agree with what you said. I know thats like saying I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. But I understand the practicality, which caused me to think that part of it I did not research. You are correct though, I should had put him on the spot. But you know the types, they are right in thier world which is super imposed on our world.

The Insurance thing I think is probably more accurate for me anyway, Remember I said in another context that I would go with a Santa Fe, Well My Insurnace company would increase my rate by $4.00 over the Rodeo. They were kind of surprised, comparing the Santa Fe to the Escape hybrid which is why I asked to explain the reasoning, which was the cost of replacment parts. Who knows, maybe Ford parts are more expensive than Hyundai parts. I also live in the North, really bad weather with sometimes not very good drivers (me for one -Yes I know my limitations in winter driving, hence the need for 4 wheel drive).

Is that $4.00 (four dollars)

Is that $4.00 (four dollars) or $400 (four hundred)?
    What year is your Rodeo?

I have State Farm, I live in Southwestern Pa (do have snow here too) and the Escape Hybrid did qualify me for a discount. The discount was based upon Hybrid drivers tend to drive--well, more conservatively and thus less likey to have problems.

For what it's worth . . . I

For what it's worth . . . I live in southern Wisconsin and last year traded our 2002 V-6 Escape for a 2008 FEH. Our insurance rates from State Farm did not change.

The cost increase for the

The cost increase for the Santa Fe was 4 bucks over the 92 rodeo, crazy huh, and I still have FULL coverage on mine. Its more than the amount required by law. This is based on bi yearly billing. Its a bargining chip I can use with the sales guy at Ford. But then, I can qualify and have a pin number for the X-Plan, so I might just go for broke, I hate dealers, it might some kind of bigetry and not all are bad, my wife knows a GM dealer sales guy and he does fine by us, but GM has NOTHING that gets great gas milage and can fullfill my needs. A year out that will be different, but I can't wait. The Rodeo is showing her age.

I also found out that the interst rate that a dealer ship gives you is set by the dealership and not the bank, which was an intersting tidbit that someone told me.

About driving conserative, when I tested that 08 FEH, I found that after a person realized that they behind a hybrid, they would try to pass me and cut me off, even though I would be driving the same way as in my rodeo. This wasn't early morning rush hour or late evening, it was around 10 AM in the morning. It was incredible, Then I figured it out. I probably took this for about two to three cars afterwards and then Showed them they that this an't your daddey's little hybrid. I found that this guy could dish it back and recalm its postiion in on the road.

It opted me to come up with a bumper sticker that says "My hybrid can kick your ...". There is emphasis on the .... I got to keep it clean, you know for the kids.

I was actually going to buy an 08, there are two MMH's in my local area, at different dealerships, and then, I stopped by on the net and found the release for the 09's, I think the extra HP is worth the wait.

I found your comment about

I found your comment about driving the FEH conservative and having someone pass you and then "cut you off" interesting. A few days ago, I returned home from Northern Wisconsin. As I was driving on the Ohio Turnpike at around 60 mph (posted limit is 65) I came upon a Honda Insight in the right lane moving at approximately 57 mph. I move to the left lane and slowly passed this vehicle. I received a quick flash of headlights from the Insight indicating there was enough room to move back to the right lane which I did. Then I noticed the Insight "creep" onto my rear for, yes drafting purposes! This continued for approximately 10 minutes until a slightly faster 18 wheeler went back and the Insight left my draft and followed the 18 wheeler in drafting position. The duo continued until I lost sight of both of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Insight was recording over 100mpg drafting the 18 wheeler.

As for a bumper sticker, you can make your own on a PC with the needed software and paper. I have seen "eat my volt" as an example of customized bumper sticker.

I bought a new '08 FEH last

I bought a new '08 FEH last June and traded in my '02 VW Jetta. My insurance actually went down about $10/month. I am with USAA, so I don't know if the ideology varies from carrier to carrier. If any change, I'd imagine it to be nominal depending on the value of the car and your driving record. Good luck!

Hey All: I did a little

Hey All:

I did a little checking, my wife actually works with a first responder. He said that there is really no need for a Haz-Mat unit to be present during the clean up after an accident involving a Hybrid. However, he said that All first responders do need to have a copy of the wiring diagrams of all hybrids, to help keep from being electricuted.

Yes, I know there are some that say when a hybrid is involved in an accident that the electrical systems shut down, and I have nothing to disbute that, but if I, a normal blok, had to help someone in such a perdicament, I might want to see those wiring diagrams, if just to keep my mind right.
    -paul

I need a driver for my

I need a driver for my phillips snn6500 wireless netcard
    or smc2632 wireless net card
    I can`t make them run on linpus linux lite

please help

regards
    Errowmero