+ Reply to Thread

IMA light - Civic Hybrid 2003

Hi, I have read the posts about the IMA light, but I still have questions and need some info.

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with around 110,000 miles on it. I recently went to my local Honda dealership because my IMA light came on. They said it was potentially due to my rear catalytic converter having gone bad, which they replaced (for about a 1000 bucks!). The IMA light went off. It has been about three weeks, and now my IMA light is back on. I have not noticed any changes in performance however. So my questions are:

1. Should I be worried?
    2. What happens if I do not get it fixed?
    3. There was a thread about Honda helping replace the battery. If I need to get it replaced how do I initiate this with Honda?

Thank you for your help,
    Cary

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I doubt the IMA light was

I doubt the IMA light was caused by the cat. When they cleared the codes, it cleared the IMA condition. Go to an Autozone and use their scan tool (free) or pay a mechanic a few dollars to read your codes.

Post the codes here and I'll tell you what they mean.

The codes that signify a battery problem are P1447, P1449 and P1433. If you have any of those you have to replace or rebuild your IMA battery.

If NC is a CARB state, then your warranty is 150,000 miles. If it is not, then your warranty is 80,000 miles and you should seriously consider rebuilding it instead of replacing it.

Non-warranty IMA batteries in the east are $3000. In California they are $4000+.

Rebuilding an IMA battery is less than $1000

Hi Cary; At 110,000 miles I

Hi Cary;

At 110,000 miles I am not surprised to hear your catalytic converter needed to be replaced. Yes, they are expensive but it is one of those costs you often cannot avoid.

The cat converter did not cause the IMA light or vice versa. It is more common for a cat converter problem to turn the "check engine light" on, just like in any other emissions related failure.

What they most likely did was the clear the IMA DTC's when they cleared the Cat's DTC's and that kept it OK for a couple of days but it appears they did not address ALL the issues in the first take.

If I were you I would be contact with the dealership and ask them to assess the causes of the IMA light. At this mileage I would also contact Corporate Honda and ask them to review and assist you on your case - if indeed a new battery pack is needed.

Is your can equipped with a CVT or a Manual Transmission?

If it has a CVT, then how is that one doing? If it is doing good, then just look at a potential pack replacement as if it was a CVT overhaul and then take good care of the CVT going forward. The newer packs are better and longer lived than your original one so if the car is in good shape then it may be worth the expense going forward.

Cheers;

MSantos

????????????

???????????? ???????????? - ????? ?????? ????????. ???? ?? ???????? ????? ??????????? ?????? ?????????? ??????????, ?? ?????? ?? ??????. ?? ????? ? ???????????? ??? ??????????? ? ???? ?????????? ? ????. ???????, ???????, ???????, ???????????, ????????? - ?? ?????? ?????? ?? ???? ?? ????? ?????. ?? ????? ?????? ?????? ? ???, ??? ???????? ????? ?????? ????? ? ???????????, ??? ????????? ????????? ????????? ? ??? ???????????? ?????? ??????? ????????. ?? ?????? ??????? ??? ????? ?????????, ???????????? ??? ??? ????? ???????. ?? ????? ?????? ?? ??? ???? ???????.
    <a href=http://metodissledov.ru>??? ????????????</a>

????? ????????

????? ???????? ????? ??????, ?????????? ?? ?????? ???????????, ??????? ???????????? ? ??? ?????????. ??????? ?????? ????????? ??????? ?????? ??????????? ??? ? ?????????? ?? ?????? ????????? ??????, ?? ? ????????? ??????? ????????? ? ?????? ?? ??????????? ??????? ?????. ? ????????? ????? ??? ??????? ?????? ??? ???? ????????? ??????????? ??????????? ?????????, ??? ??????, ???????? ????? ? ??????. ?????? ????? ? ??????? ???????, ???????? ???????, ?????? ??????? ? ?????? ?????? ????? ?? ????????-????? fasadworks.ru
    <a href=http://fasadworks.ru>?????? ??????? ??????</a>