+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

fuel guage indicator on prius 05

i just bought a new prius and the fuel indicator started blinking on the last bar on the screen so i went to gas station to fill up, but at 6.9 gallon the pump shutoff even tough i have driven 430 miles after i bought it full tank. now in next 35 miles i see 1 bar less in the fuel guage. so it behaves strangely...

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Take it to the dealer--some 04s were having problems like that, and there was a recall...maybe your individual car got missed. Bummer! Maybe you should even call the dealer and ask if they'd have it towed.

I've had a similar problem with my fuel indicator as well. Thanks for the tip, Maria. I'll be sure to have it checked out.

I bought a 2005 Prius about six weeks ago. I've been averaging 50 mpg. The first time the low fuel beep went off, I took it to the station and filled up slightly more than 9 gal. So, when the beep went off yesterday afternoon, I thought I could go another 100 miles at least. Well, this morning on the way to work I had a major engine failure, called the dealer, and had it towed in to be serviced. Now, they're telling me the problem could be that it ran out of gas!! WHAT? Nothing in the owner's manual indicates that with slightly less than two gallons in the tank this could happen. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had the same problem. The dealer looked into it and informed that there is, in fact, no gas tank in the traditional sense. According to them, the car has a gas bag (no joke!). This bag is at first less than the 11.9 gallons as it needs to expand a little. This is done by keeping your tank more or less full for some time until the bag expands to that advertised size. The bag may also be affected by winter cold as well.

The Prius fuel tank has a flexible bladder within the tank that contains the fuel, this expands and shrinks to match the fuel content, with little or no air/vapour pocket above the fuel. This means that there is a lot less evaporation of fuel and increases the amount of fuel you actually get to use. So yes the prius is a llittle slowr to fill and may not be as rigid in its exact fuel capacity through the life of the car. But it uses less fuel, loses less fuel and reduces the number of times you need to fill up anyway. The fuel light their for a reason, dont ignore it and youll be fine

The Prius fuel tank has a flexible bladder within the tank that contains the fuel, this expands and shrinks to match the fuel content, with little or no air/vapour pocket above the fuel. This means that there is a lot less evaporation of fuel and increases the amount of fuel you actually get to use. So yes the prius is a little slowr to fill and may not be as rigid in its exact fuel capacity through the life of the car. But it uses less fuel, loses less fuel and reduces the number of times you need to fill up anyway. The fuel light is there for a reason, dont ignore it and you'll be fine

One more thing to mention about the bladder: in cold weather it will not be as flexible as in hot weather. This means that when your last square starts blinking and you fill up the tank (bladder), you may only be able to put in 6, 7, or 8 gallons. Which means you won't get as many miles per tank. Your miles per gallon will still be high (46-50 mpg in winter for me) but your miles between fillups will be less than in the summer time.

Numerous Prius owners refer to the fuel gauge as the "GUESS GAUGE." It is not linear and due to the fuel tank bladder, can be unpredictable if you try to outguess it on how far you can drive after the last blip begins to blink. The lady did not have an 'Engine Failure (!!)" but ran her Prius out of gas - not good for the Prius. It is a puzzle to me how some Prius drivers seem to risk fuel exhaustion. I rarely put more than 8 gallons in my Prius and have never run out of fuel. Pushing a Prius on the main battery is not good.

I thought I read somewhere in the manual that you're supposed to not let it go below a quarter of a tank. So that's what I try to do. I usually fill it at 2 or 3 squares.