+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2009 TOURING PRIUS oil and tire pressure

I just drove mine home and noticed the pressure on the tires was set at 33 rear and 34 front. I just made them 42PSI all around. Anyone have any problems at that pressure?

The sidewalll reads 51PSI. 16 inch wheels.

Also I have 2 Honda Hybrids in my stable so this will be a good comparison once I put synthetic oil in.
    Anyone use anything other than 5W30?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

We have an 08 Touring with

We have an 08 Touring with 16's and they have never had less than 50 psi in them. I have driven it several thousand miles much higher than 50psi with no ill effects.The tires have about 30,000 on them now. I run only 0w20 synthetic Amsoil in all my vehicles.

1. Be careful of changing

1. Be careful of changing the oil weight. You can use any brand of oil that meets the manufacturer's minimum specifications. But you should NEVER use a oil weight other than those specified by the manufacturer. Oil that is EITHER thinner or thicker than specified can result in improper lubrication of your engine.

2. Higher tire pressure can reduce your fuel consumption slightly...
    HOWEVER, higher than normal tire pressure can cause your tires to self destruct in a few thousand miles. HINT: If you want higher pressure in your tires, BUY tires that are built and rated for higher pressure.

51 PSI TIRES installed on

51 PSI TIRES installed on mine. But very rough ride on those 195/55/16 OEMs at 44PSI. Tire pressure at certain levels can make a big difference in mileage once you find the sweet spot. Just looking for the perfect spot for this Prius. I never inflate tires above their max as some do, but my tires do last longer at max pressure. 51PSI may be too much of a ride sacrifice for a low profile tire.
    Running 44 PSI on all my other vehicles for years and ran my first two Hybrids at 48PSI with 51PSI tires with no problem.

56.8 MPG back and forth to

56.8 MPG back and forth to work at 44PSI. That is high enough and if the road is rough on my next trip I will need to go down to 40PSI.

On the Standard, 35psi on

On the Standard, 35psi on the front and 33psi on the back are the manufacturer's recommendation. I only bumped mine up 3psi because I don't want to sacrifice too much breaking because I drive a road with a bunch of gravel trucks. I'll probably drop it back to 35 and 33 when the snow falls for more traction.

I'm starting my second week of driving it and I'm getting 54mpg.

What pressure would 15 inch

What pressure would 15 inch tires have?

I am presently running 47PSI

I am presently running 47PSI in all 4 tires.

I am up to 57.2 MPG at 47

I am up to 57.2 MPG at 47 PSI and 0W30.

My MPG is up to 57.2 with

My MPG is up to 57.2 with 0W30 Mobile 1 and 47 PSI.