+ Reply to Thread

rear ride height

I hope someone can help

I have a 07 hch2. Today I noticed that the left rear sits 3/4" lower then the right rear. I checked the fronts and they are within 1/8" of each other.

As a test I put my other car in the same space and all corners are within +- of each other.
    The tank is full and I removed all extra stuff from the trunk.

I had the rear control arms replaced about 1 month ago, could that have caused a spring to go bad? or put back wrong? should I be concerned?

Any help would be great

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Brian; 3/4" is a

Hi Brian;

3/4" is a significant amount... still not dramatic, but significant enough to make me want to know why.

Has the car been involved in an accident at some point?

Springs do go bad and I would not exclude that possibility.

The Rear control arm replacement is not overly complicated and the techs usually follow the TSB directions without much room for error, so I am not ready to consider the procedure as the cause of the height discrepancy. Besides, an alignment is also needed which lends a few more eyes and checks to the control arm replacement thus ensuring that job and car remain within safe specs.

As you noted, a certain discrepancy is allowed and normal but if the difference is really 3/4" then I would take it to another dealership and have them give you a summary. Don't tell the second dealer anything about the Control arm replacement or anything else. Instead let them do the investigative work on their own and if they're good they'll tell you what you already know plus the stuff you are trying to find out.

Cheers;

MSantos

msantos I am the original

msantos

I am the original owner, and the car has not been involved in any accidents, I got the car with 7 miles on it, and now it has 27k.

I did notice after I wrote the above comment, on the drive home from my sons BoyScouts the car seem to be "squirmy" at highway speeds-like the back of the car wanted to do the steering.

I will call the dealer and make an appointment. If you stand and look at it from the back you can see the car is leaning to the left.

I will keep you in the loop.

Brian

FWIW, our '06 HCHII is lower

FWIW, our '06 HCHII is lower on left side, when viewed from the rear. And, to the best of my recollection, *every* previous Honda we've had (5?) had similar appearance.

I also notice when jacking up the car with the front jack point: when I put the safety stands under the rocker panel bearing points the driver's side tends to be closer to the floor, harder to get the jackstand under there.

Not sure if it's 3/4", I would say at least 1/2" in our current case ('06 HCHII)

Just following up I went to

Just following up

I went to 2 different Honda dealers, and measured the wheelwell opening, and all of them were lower on the left side. If all of them new or used are that way, then I am ok with it.

see ya..

Brian