+ Reply to Thread

Fuel Capacity Question

My owners manual states that the 09 HCH has a fuel capacity of 12.3 gallons. However, I did drive mine until all of the squares went away in the fuel gauge this past week, and then I filled up. I was only able to put 10.4 gallons in the tank. I do not sit there at the pump and continuously keep clicking the handle to try and squeeze every drop into the tank that I can. I always just stop at the first click of the handle. Is there basically 2 gallons left in the tank after all of the squares of the fuel gauge disappear?

Before you answer, I do want to clarify again that I do refuel normally at 1/8 tank minumum. I just ran it this close the one time to see how many miles I could get out of a tank. I am just curious since the manual says the capacity is 12.3 yet I was only able to fill to 10.4.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

I have an 06, which I

I have an 06, which I believe has the same gas capacity spec. I have similar findings to yours, though in metric. I believe* the tank capacity is to be around 45 liters. If we fill when the warning comes on, it will take around 37.5 liters, stopping when the gas spout automatically shuts off the first time. (*not at home, don't have the manual handy)

I think it's reasonable to assume Honda designed the fuel level indicator and low fuel warning system conservatively, to avoid people inadvertantly being stranded.

I have a 08 HCH and have

I have a 08 HCH and have found the exact same situation. All the bars go and it only fills up 10.4 gallons.