+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the reply I hope

Thanks for the reply I hope to have the Kumos kr21 on by the end of the month. I will keep you informed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a 2008 Civic? My

Do you have a 2008 Civic? My dealer in Windsor ON Canada swears my 2008 CIVIC 5 speed manual doesn't have the bad control arms (rear) but I've had the cupping, bad wear problem from day one (now 38,000 miles). After paying myself for 3 alignments (at $99 plys tax each) and buying 1 tire to replace one that was totally worn on 1 side, my dealer now feels that a fair deal is if I buy 2 tires, he buys one, and HONDA Canada will buy the fourth. I get to throw away the tire I had to buy, since it's now not recommended for replacement on the 2008 CIVIC. Nice....they've replaced 1 of 4 tires after my outlay of over $300 over the last year and a half. If you have a 2008 CIVIC, watch for cupping along the edge of your tires....it is caused by rear control arm issues together with improper alignment specs (for the 5 speed manual the service manager says)....specs just changed in Jan 2010 per my dealer. Again, I have a 2008 which is NOT supposed tohave the probelm, but I did very clearly have a wear issue....the other thing that happens when the tire wears and cups, is that you will feel/hear a thrumming or vibration at highway 60+ mph speeds. Sounds like a wheel bearing...

I have a 2008 civic hybrid

I have a 2008 civic hybrid and recently replaced the Dunlop OEM's with Michelin Hydroedges. The Dunlops had a very bad wear, totally worn out after 30000 miles, so I was looking for a more resistant tire with high fuel efficiency. The Hydroedges were recommended in many forums, so I went with these, but now my mileage has dropped to 36 mpg from 41. I am going to return these but I don't know which ones to install. I have read good things about the Yokohama Avid TRZ, is anyone familiar with these on a 2008 Civic Hybrid?

I also have a 2008 Honda

I also have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid with severe cupping. The dealer refused to deal with the problem since the car has control arms stamped with a "C". I contacted Honda America and provided with information on the tire rotations and alignments, all as was required for warranty. Honda America says suspension is within specifications, control arms are good, and they will not help with replacing tires AND if I buy new tires and these exhibit the same cupping problem they will not help. Insist that there is no latent defect in car and cause is "driver habits." This excuse was also applied to my questioning why the rotors developed "hot spots" at 30,000 miles and needed replacement (NOT covered under 36K/3 year warranty). My only evidence is 40+ years of driving and NEVER seeing tire cupping OR getting hot spots on rotors. Between the lame "driver habits" excuse for what seem to be Honda design issues and significant TSBs I can't ever see buying a Honda again. Bad product and bad service all the way to the top.

Here's some very thorough

Here's some very thorough (and up to date) review info on the LRR contenders:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24904

Also, either your OEM's or the Bridgestone Insiginia SE200 (another OEM Honda has used) will obviously give good mileage.

We have the SE200's on our '06. The car's odometer is at 78000 km right now, and the SE's have roughly 4mm (between 5/32" and 6/32") tread depth remaining. Maybe 8000 km's were travelled on alternate snow tires though, so the SE200's have gone 70000 km's, which translates to around 44000 miles, so far.

Assuming your OEM Dunlops were at the wear bars at 30000 miles, that could be either the brand, and/or rear suspension issues, ie: rear tires wearing faster due to misalignment.

FWIW, our tires have worn quite evenly, the rear has the slight negative camber (as spec'd), but it does not seem to accelerated tire wear.

After reviewing many hours

After reviewing many hours worth of LRR information and testing performed by Tire Rack, I must conclude that the whole concept of going green and increasing fuel economy is something that the Big Industries dont desire. My 06 HCH has dunlop SF20 tires, and they perform "ok". When looking for a tire that increases fuel economy as indicated on tire rack, the Michelin Energy A/S supplied about 4% improved fuel economy. The Energy Saver A/S also rated among the top 5 tires rated by consumers on tire rack.
    Since Tire Racks surveys do not currently include ratings for fuel efficiency, one must do extensive research to find a tire that meets every potential need. Based on all the reviews and overall tests, manufacturer reputation in regards to recall and reputation, I sought out the Energy Saver A/S as the next potential HCH replacement tire.

The problem. None to be found anywhere. Michelin themselves have the tire on BO and no build date.

One online dealership, discountwheelsandTires.com, sell the tires in my size for 76.00 each plus shipping. So I called them after not getting any response from my email inquiry. Of course they dont have any... and have a few problems with the better buisness bureau.
    to view the company-> http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...on-CA-13211025

The next potential candidate tire was the Continental ProContact with EcoPlus technology. But, I heard from a sears rep that the Continental tire company was going through a severe recall of many of their tires separating during normal operation.

So the search continues, Anyone who has some good news about replacement tires for hybrids or knows where the Michelin Energy Saver A/S is in stock, I would really appreciate the information.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid and just recently experiencing the increased noise and vibration with the Dunlop SP 31 A/S tires that came stock with the car. I have 130000km on the car (bought from brand new) but swap out my tires for dedicated winter tires every November to end of April each year.

I've learned a lot this week regarding this issue and here's what I found out.

I had assumed originally that my tires were out of balance. I went to North Bay Kal tire and the gentleman there was excellent in helping me.

After hearing me describe the thumping and vibration, he took me out to the car and ran his palms over the inside edges of the tires and explained to me that the tires were CUPPED or SCALLOPED ( wavey ont he inside edge) due to poor wear and tear. He said it could be an alignment issue or suspension issue. He advised me not to waste money in balancing teh tires right now. ( they were the least expensive in balancing- Canadian tire $15/each, OK tire $20/each and Kal tire North Bay Ont $8-10/each)

I inquired about how much tread was left on the tires, he measured and told me that you will last the rest of the summer ( it's April 30,2012) there was NO PRESSURE in trying to sell me replacement tires.

Ok course I asked how much and what would be the best tire to repalce the stock ones with. He gave me 4 quotes ranging from $400 to $700 for the four.

Out of those I decided to investigate the Michelin Defender series.
    Allt eh reviews were excellent. even better that the Michelin Energy series (and cheaper with longer warranty)

I wanted to further investigate the Dunlop tires and found the following:
    These tires wear prematurely and are susceptible to cupping
    Interestingly all the reviews and posts were from people who owned Honda cars.

Further reading seen to indicate that Honda Civics from 2004 to 2008 had rear Control Arm suspension issues that Honda would not mention unless an owner complained about the issue.

I am checking with my dealership Jason Armstron Honda in Huntsville to see what they have to say about the issue.

Interestingly enough, when I called the service manager at Honda, I explained what was going on with the car, the vibrations and cupping. I explained that I learned about the past problems with wear ont he tires being normal wear and tear and a fault of the tire design. I mentioned that I want to make sure that it was not a suspension issue because I did not want to spend over $700 on tires and alignment and balancing only to find out that I am getting unusual wear and cupping because of suspension issues. He said then that he would look into the rear Control Arm ( Hey I didn't tell him that.... hmmm interesting). I had my car services just recently and I asked them the dealer to go over that car thoroughly as teh expended warranty was going to expire soon ( i was about 2000km away from 130000km cut off..

So we shall see what this Honda Dealer will do.

Lesson to everyone:
    Dunlop SP 31 tires are susceptibel to poor wear patterns
    Get your REAR Suspension looked at by HONDA insist on it before your Warranty expires. (rear control arms in particular)
    I think after all this I will buy the Michelin DEFENDERn tires at Costco.

I have a 2008 Honda Civic

I have a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid and just recently experiencing the increased noise and vibration with the Dunlop SP 31 A/S tires that came stock with the car. I have 130000km on the car (bought from brand new) but swap out my tires for dedicated winter tires every November to end of April each year.

I've learned a lot this week regarding this issue and here's what I found out.

I had assumed originally that my tires were out of balance. I went to North Bay Kal tire and the gentleman there was excellent in helping me.

After hearing me describe the thumping and vibration, he took me out to the car and ran his palms over the inside edges of the tires and explained to me that the tires were CUPPED or SCALLOPED ( wavey ont he inside edge) due to poor wear and tear. He said it could be an alignment issue or suspension issue. He advised me not to waste money in balancing teh tires right now. ( they were the least expensive in balancing- Canadian tire $15/each, OK tire $20/each and Kal tire North Bay Ont $8-10/each)

I inquired about how much tread was left on the tires, he measured and told me that you will last the rest of the summer ( it's April 30,2012) there was NO PRESSURE in trying to sell me replacement tires.

Ok course I asked how much and what would be the best tire to repalce the stock ones with. He gave me 4 quotes ranging from $400 to $700 for the four.

Out of those I decided to investigate the Michelin Defender series.
    Allt eh reviews were excellent. even better that the Michelin Energy series (and cheaper with longer warranty)

I wanted to further investigate the Dunlop tires and found the following:
    These tires wear prematurely and are susceptible to cupping
    Interestingly all the reviews and posts were from people who owned Honda cars.

Further reading seen to indicate that Honda Civics from 2004 to 2008 had rear Control Arm suspension issues that Honda would not mention unless an owner complained about the issue.

I am checking with my dealership Jason Armstron Honda in Huntsville to see what they have to say about the issue.

Interestingly enough, when I called the service manager at Honda, I explained what was going on with the car, the vibrations and cupping. I explained that I learned about the past problems with wear ont he tires being normal wear and tear and a fault of the tire design. I mentioned that I want to make sure that it was not a suspension issue because I did not want to spend over $700 on tires and alignment and balancing only to find out that I am getting unusual wear and cupping because of suspension issues. He said then that he would look into the rear Control Arm ( Hey I didn't tell him that.... hmmm interesting). I had my car services just recently and I asked them the dealer to go over that car thoroughly as teh expended warranty was going to expire soon ( i was about 2000km away from 130000km cut off..

So we shall see what this Honda Dealer will do.

Lesson to everyone:
    Dunlop SP 31 tires are susceptibe to poor wear patterns
    Get your REAR Suspension looked at by HONDA insist on it before your Warranty expires. (rear control arms in particular)
    I think after all this I will buy the Michelin DEFENDER tires at Costco.

I had my 2007 Hybrid rear

I had my 2007 Hybrid rear control arms replaced by the dealer at no charge. You just have to show them the "Service Order" Honda issued and if they are a good dealer they'll fix. I had them replaced at the same dealer I bought the car from so that probably helped