+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using Battery System to Power Mounted Food Service Equipment?

Is it possible to use the battery system to power equipment (if you convert the car to a mobile catering car) like a smoothie machine, espresso machine...that sort of thing. If possible, how many watts can you power for how long before you would need to start the engine to recharge the battery system?

Also (if anyone happens to know this), I would assume you would need an inverter to convert the DC power to 110 Volt as well. Is there anything else that I am missing in terms of the possibility of doing this? I'd love to avoid having to have a generator along....

Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

There is a optional 110V AC

There is a optional 110V AC outlet on '05 - '08 models that comes standard now on the '09 models. It only has 150 watts and not meant to run the equipment you mention. Also, the key must be in the run position to provide power to that outlet. With the key On, the HV battery drains rather quickly because the HV D/C to LV D/C converter current is powering all the vehicles ACC. You could allow the engine to run to charge the HV battery in an automatic On/Off EV mode though. A separate 12V D/C to A/C external inverter connected to the 12V battery could still power the equipment mentioned in this mode. The HV battery demands the engine to start at 40% charge and the engine can shutdown again at a 42% charge. This would cycle as long as you like without the noise, pollution of a generator and constant refueling.

There is not a conventional starter or alternator in the FEH, so the HV battery is used to start the engine with a motor/generator. Therefore the FEH is designed to keep the 12V battery charged at all times with the HV battery and HV D/C to LV D/C converter.

What ever the watts you need to run your equipment and how much additional power from the 12V battery is available from the FEH, I don't know. I do know the FEH must regulate a special coolant pump to keep the D/C to D/C converter cool while power is transferred from the HV battery. I have heard that the Prius can supply power in this manner and it has a much smaller HV battery. It would be nice to know how much power can be used from the FEH as an emergency generator for even our homes. Hope we get additional input from others on this subject.

You can read more about inverters here:
    http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inv...html#emergency

Thanks GaryG for the

Thanks GaryG for the information and feedback! I knew there would be people like you out there who have a detailed understanding of this technology and its capabilities.

In terms of the amount of power needed and for how long, originally we wanted to spec an electric espresso machine (but they are nearly 4800 watts) combined with a couple other pieces of equipment we would then need a 7000 watt generator. Given the capabilities you mentioned above, potentially a propane espresso machine could keep the electrical requirements under the range you mentioned.....and RVs use propane appliances all the time in an enclosed space.

I'd love to get an innovative approach to solve this using existing technology in a straight forward way. There should be a way to use a hybrid vehicle as an external generator for our purpose as well as temporary electricity generation for key systems in a home when needed.....

Any other ideas out there on this concept?

I would recommend a small

I would recommend a small trailer with less than 1,000 pounds which the FEH is rated. Use it for any propane tanks and cooking equipment. I wouldn't risk fire damage inside of a hard to find vehicle like the FEH. I see rigs like these with small vans every day around the WPB courthouse serving hot dogs and drinks. They lift the cargo door for cover and seating and have an umbrella over their rig. The trick for them is to keep the vehicle and trailer short enough to take up one parking space and feed only one parking meter. They serve all day during working hours and get there early to get their prime parking spots. I've seen them change shifts by one person stopping a separate vehicle and exchange drivers with the first shift in order to keep their spot. Lots of employees and customers going to and from the courthouse everyday and need a quick bite and drink.

Gary, I know the earlier

Gary, I know the earlier models did list towing cap. at 1000 lbs, but I think that beginning in 2008, Ford no longer recommends towing with the FEH.

That may be the reason they

That may be the reason they no longer have a trailer wiring harness available. I had to find a trailer hitch and have the trailer dealer wire my '08 MMH. Works well with my small trailer for lawn tractor.

Hi mdensch You scared me for

Hi mdensch

You scared me for a minute about my '09 not having a 1,000 towing capacity. I looked in my owners manual and it states that the FWD and the 4WD both have a 1,000 pound trailer towing capacity.

None of the FEH/MMH could ever be ordered with the trailer tow package and trailer wiring power has to come from from the 12V battery. I saw a video on installing the hitch and wiring on the '08 FEH and it didn't looked that hard. I've been thinking about adding a hitch for carriers and small trailers down the road. I like the carriers because short trailers are hard to back-up.

My apologies. I consulted

My apologies. I consulted my 2008 FEH owner's manual and it does, indeed, list a 1000 lb. towing capacity.

However, Ford also publishes a general towing guide that states (in a foot note page 8) that towing with the FEH is not recommended: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...ailerGuide.pdf

Maybe that's where I got my information . . . .

I like cheese too.

I like cheese too.

I was wondering if you ever

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout
    of your website? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so
    people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2
    images. Maybe you could space it out better?