+ Reply to Thread

Honda can partially pay for battery replacement?

I just bought a 2004 civic hybrid and realized that I do not have enough education.
    This forum is a great-great helpful duscussion group.
    MSantos, in one of the topics I think I read you said that corporate Honda can pay a half for a battery replacement. Did I understand you correctly?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi 2004HCHGirl; That is

Hi 2004HCHGirl;

That is correct. Honda can, in many cases, cover a significant portion of the cost of a battery pack replacement provided that the vehicle meets the basic requirements (which most do). For example, if the vehicle was re-built as a result of a bad accident and listed as salvage then you may be out of luck. A flooded vehicle may also be out of luck. If a vehicle has a good service history then your chances are the best for a very quick and trouble free process.

In any case, contact your dealer to ensure that all is OK on that front and if it is not, then let them find out what they can do for you. If they speed or response is not to your satisfaction please engage Honda directly and politely request that they review your case.

Cheers;

MSantos

Even though I bought this

Even though I bought this car used, and we do not belong to any dealerships, that's great news...
    How do batteries behave when they are about to die?? My battery has always been over a half full..Would it just stop recharging or stay very low all the time?
    I now understand that I need to read up a lot, and that is fine, but I was able to find manuals online, so forums are the onpy helpful thing really. I do not even know what some of the buttons do .

Hi 2004HCHgirl; I would

Hi 2004HCHgirl;

I would suggest you visit a good Honda dealership at some point. These cars need to have the latest software applied to its various systems and judging from your feedback your car may operating in a slight deficit in this area.
    Second, only a good dealer will be able to tell you what state of health your battery will be in, and whether we like or not, only a dealer will be able to fit a new replacement pack on your car.

Anyway, when a battery pack is bad you'll see any combination of the following:
    - Frequent SoC recalibrations
    - SoC does not last and often jumps around a lot
    - IMA warning lights appear on the dash
    - Poor fuel economy among other noticeable effects on overall driveability (acceleration, regen braking, etc)

Look, you don't have to have everything done at the dealer. Things like oil changes and other regular maintenance can be done elsewhere provided that they do a good job and use the right fluids and parts.
    But with that said, your car has a lot of systems that are simply beyond the understanding and competence of most mechanics... So, I would humbly suggest you start working on a relationship with a dealer because at some point that can be an investment that will pay off in terms of "good will" and service history.
    Also, get the software updates as soon as you have a chance. Believe me, these updates can end up saving you a lot of money later on in more ways than one.

Cheers;

MSantos

I just had my 2005 Civic

I just had my 2005 Civic Hybrid blow through a second battery pack at 189K. The first was replaced free of charge. This time, the service rep told me on the phone that it would be covered again (as the service rep told me when the first pack was replaced). After I got it in to the dealership, they decided that it was no longer under warranty. As you can imagine, I am very frustrated by the misinformation that I have gotten from the dealer. This was my first new car. I plan never to make that mistake again. I still owe $5k on it. I also called Honda America. Not only did they tell me that it was not under warranty any longer, they did it with attitude. Toyota/Volkswagen here I come.

How much do the hybrid

How much do the hybrid batteries cost?

I was told $3000 last year.

I was told $3000 last year. My check engine light was on and the car wouldn't pass inspection. The only problem with the car is the battery. It runs fine, but doesn't function has a hybrid should at this point. The check engine light went off and I ran it over to be inspected. It past and has been running fine for a year. The engine light came right back on and now I'm out of luck because inspection is due at the end of the month. Not sure if it is worth paying the $3000 to replace the battery or buy a new car. Any thoughts? It is a 2003 with over 150,000 miles.

There are two companies that

There are two companies that rebuild the batteries for about $1500, depending on how many of your cells are bad. You can even have it shipped there and back to you.
    One place is in New Jersey and another in Arizona.
    just type in replacementbatteries.com I thought!
    Better that then deal with the attitude of Honda.
    What is that about, create happy customers after warranty for the same $1500 this guy charges or piss us off, hummmm hard choice!