+ Reply to Thread

startup process after major repairs

We bought a salvage 06 Ford Escape with heavy front end damage. It has been down more than 6 months. Now that we've got it all put back together, does anyone have insights on the process to get it to start? I'm guessing our issue is around the HV battery, but if anyone has experience they can share, we'd appreciate it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Ford eliminated the Jump

Ford eliminated the Jump Start button on the '09 FEH/MMH, but your '06 still has it. If you have the owners manual the information on where it is and the procedure. It is located behind a removable panel on the drivers side near your left foot.

With a fully charged 12V battery the HV battery can be loaded with a charge that may be enough to start the engine. Juice from the 12V charges the HV battery by pushing this button and waiting ~8 minutes till the light stops blinking. Try to start the vehicle at this point. It may take additional procedures with another vehicle used to jump start the 12V battery in your FEH if the HV battery is completely dead. Also, make sure your fuel and HV battery switches have been reset after an accident. The gas switch is located near the right leg of the front passenger and the HV battery reset is behind the Jack if I recall. This may solve your problem and you may not even need a jump-start.

Thanks, Gary. Didn't know

Thanks, Gary. Didn't know about the Jump Start button, will check that out in the manual. We reset both fuel switches (only one was tripped). We replaced the 12V battery, don't know if the HV battery is dead, how do you tell?

We also replaced the board on the transmission/hybrid motor. Does it have to be re-programmed to "talk" to the main computer and the key?

Thanks for the additional feedback.
    Kim

It is my understanding that

It is my understanding that the TCM is part of the eCVT and can only be reflashed as a repair to it. Ford said the same thing for the BCM in the housing of the HV battery, but I know Ford is now allowing hybrid techs to do internal repairs with a recall.

The answer is yes regarding programming the TCM, but I have concerns if Ford can retrieve the "AS Built" programming now that the original has been removed. I believe the "AS Built" programming can also be found by the Ford As built history, so please keep me up to date so I can advise others in the future. Sounds like it is time for the hot line at Ford and an approved hybrid tech to take over the job if the TCM has been replaced.

If you had a SGII with Soc

If you had a SGII with Soc programmed, you would know the percentage of Soc of your HV battery at a key On event.

Hi, Ford Salvage Escape is a

Hi,

Ford Salvage Escape is a very good choice of your's. If the Hv battery is giving problems then I can suggest you to check the Soc level of the battery, through which you can easily start the car without much hard work.

You can also charge it with a 12V battery that can power your Hv Battery and help you to get it start. For any technical issues i will suggest you to check the readre's manuals.

NYK

New Cars

Gary, you mention taking to

Gary, you mention taking to a approved hybrid tech. How do we find one in the Phoenix area? I think we'd rather find an independent that go to Ford, if we can find one. Thanks!

Your going to have to take

Your going to have to take it to a Ford dealer who has a Ford certified hybrid tech. The Ford dealer must have a Ford certified hybrid tech in order to sale hybrids. My shop manual says that the entire eCVT must be replaced if reflashing the TCM doesn't work. I don't know if you bought a new TCM from Ford or got a used one from a junked FEH. I would think Ford would not sell just a TCM unless they've changed the repair procedures. At any rate, your TCM sounds like it needs to be reflashed and you'll need the programming and the equipment with a qualified Tech.

Did you ever get your Escape

Did you ever get your Escape started? I'm having the same problem with my 08 Mariner Hybrid which was also in a front accident. Which dealer did you take it?

Good Day! I found your

Good Day!
    I found your info on the net and decided to contact you BECAUSE I failed to repair my car in my Country. The Car model is : Ford Escape Hybrid 2005 year.
    I contact you from Europe (Georgia) and I hope to get any pieces of advice from you ok?

The problem is the following:
    I got in a car accident where my car was partially damaged. Then I had the car repaired. The car is fine now , the engine works fine and it goes well. But the Abs System was completely changed and now it has a new ABS system because the garage people changed the old one which was also damaged in the accident. The problem is that the BRAKED DO NOT WORK !
    No matter what the workers in the Ford Service center (in Tbilisi, Georgia) did and tried they FAILED to make the Brakes work!
    So I had to have the car in the computer diagnostic center also in Tbilisi Georgia.
    The computer diagnistic checking revealed the following results:
    I just write to you what is written in the results of the diagnostic scanning:
    So, 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, System Wiring Diagrams.
    Fig.9 : Anti-lock Brakes Circuit, Hybrid. "C1477 High Pressure Hydraulic Circuit leakage, Plausibility Failure".

So now the problem appears to be just in the above mentioned sentence , I mean so-called "C1477" error related to the " High pressure Hydraulic Circuit leakage, plausibility Failure". Isn't it?
    I tried various service centers in my country (Georgia) but the workers in my country FAIL to fathom what the problem is and how to fix it. .. the fail to repair the brakes though the ABS system of the car was changed completely! So the BRAKES DO NOT WORK!
    Please if you know how to solve this problem -then do a favour and let us know what to do ok?
    I would be enormously grateful to you if you could give me detailed instructions so that I can repair the brakes MYSELF. I need step-by-step instructions in order I can try repliring the Brakes myself because it's no use going to the service center again as they already failed to achieve success on this issue.
    Maybe the problem is not in the system of Brakes at alll. Maybe the problem is the computer system of the car! Is it possible to RESTART the computer system of the car manually?! Then if we restart the computer of the car then the parameters of the made changes will be set to the memory of the computer. Will it? NOTE that during repairing the ABS system of the car was changed( the old one was removed and the new ABS was installed!) but the computer probably DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the changes!!!!
    oh, I don't know really. I only see that I can hardly repair my car in my country, therefore I can't do anything with it because it's unreal to take this car abroad for repairing.
    Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
    Bakur Rostobaia from Georgia ( Europe).
    It's possible to text me or phone me at +995-90-13-67-95, or mailing me at: bakurros@yahoo.com

Best regards.
    Bye.