+ Reply to Thread

Can you drive Highlander on beach?

I am a Prius owner and am considering a Highlander Hybrid as well. My family likes to be able to drive on the beach and I was told that the Highlander can't go off-road even though it is 4wd. Has anyone taken theirs on a beach?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

No to the beach

The thing is, the 4wd is more or less really a 2wd as far as off road is concerned. There is no driveshaft connecting the front and back wheels. The back wheels just have their own 68 (I think) horsepower electric motor, and that's not going to do much for you if the front wheels are dug into sand and don't have traction.

Maybe slightly better than a 2WD but very slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Mooney View Post
    The thing is, the 4wd is more or less really a 2wd as far as off road is concerned. There is no driveshaft connecting the front and back wheels. The back wheels just have their own 68 (I think) horsepower electric motor, and that's not going to do much for you if the front wheels are dug into sand and don't have traction.

Maybe slightly better than a 2WD but very slightly.
    So what's the torque rating for this 68hp motor?? I think that's the more important figure (torque = pulling power), espcially since the whole amount would be available from 0 rpm in the case of an electric motor. That's why diesel engines are so good at pulling - lower hp ratings, but huge amounts of torque... torque is so misunderstood it seems...

Guys - I need some sage

Guys - I need some sage advice. I currently live in NJ and love my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited. My family and I fish lakes from a 15' boat (trailered), but also love driving our miles of beaches to go surf fishing. My Jeep still does its job and runs well, but also realize it can't last for years and years to come, with nearly 185K, so I'm reading up on what to get next. I want to lower my carbon footprint, but wonder about hybrids on the beach. I spoke to the Chief of the LA Lifeguards last Fall and he had nothing but great things to say about the 100 Ford Escape Hybrids they use, pretty much stock underneath. This is fine, but there's the counterargument that hybrids don't always beat high gas mileage gas engines, so what's the point? There's also the issue of increased cost. And finally, there's the issue of battery life, meaning how long will the batteries work on the beach before giving out and the vehicle reverting back to the gas engine? On pavement, you just lose overall performance power, which just makes your ride wimpy. But on sand, I doubt I'd be able to drag my Escape up a hill through heavy mashed potatoes (where its always soft and deep above the tidal water line) and over the exit ramp. Are there any off-roading advice articles? I'm certain that while I doubt the average beach driving surf fisherman cares much about hybrids and electric vehicles, I believe we need to do what we can to look into the future, and gasoline just isn't going to be there forever. I want to do my part to move forward, but if the technology isn't quite there yet, and I should wait and nurse my Cherokee for several more years to see Detroit put something out, I'll do just that. Thanks tons, Mike.