+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have 2005 Prius and drove

I have 2005 Prius and drove about 45000 miles so far.
    Recently went NY and back to California with it.
    Average MPG exceeded 50 every day except in mountain region.
    Total Gas costs was about $350 for the whole trip!

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

We have a 2007 Prius and

We have a 2007 Prius and were getting 46-49 mpg average. Put new Goodyear Fuelmax tires on it and the mileage dropped to 40-46. Exchanged the tires for Michelin Energy Saver and now we are getting only 33-35 mpg. Help someone. What's going on?

Do you have the proper size

Do you have the proper size tires? Prius uses fairly narrow tires, at high inflation to reduce rolling friction. Are the tires properly inflated? Many tire dealers think ALL tires run at 32psi. I keep my Prius tires at 40psi for normal driving, and 46psi (max pressure for my tires) when carrying heavy loads (vacation).

I'll check the maximum psi.

I'll check the maximum psi. The tire dealer did say 32psi. We just put Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires on it. Tire dealer says they are the best for a Prius. Next step if more air doesn't work is the dealer. Sigh!

Thank you for your reply!

I have a 2008 Prius, and am

I have a 2008 Prius, and am extremely disappointed in the gas mileage. I live in Los Angeles, and if I'm on the freeway (which is about once a month), I get around 41-42- mpg. I only get 31-34 in the city. I've had the tires checked and been told by the dealer to coast the car. You've got to be kidding. I'm not one of the Flintstones. I don't want to get another one if this is the case.
    Any suggestions??

The first problem would be

The first problem would be California is an E10 state. Ethanol in gas drops your mileage.

I'm going to take a wild guess on LA freeways, you probably aren't speeding down he road at 75mph. But you probably have a lot of stop-and-go rush hour traffic. All cars get better mileage when maintaining a speed.

Minimize AC usage, especially when I stop and go traffic. It runs your battery down. I also try not to run mine when the outside temp is below 78F.

Check your tire pressure and air filter.

Gliding does significantly improve mileage. It may not be "cool" enough for you. But if you want to improve your mileage, it can only help.

For all cars, how you drive affects mileage significantly. Pull up some websites on hypermiling. If you want to maximize your mileage, practice them. After two or three months, your mileage should significantly improve. But because of the E10 issue, you may never break 50mpg.

Upstate NY just made the

Upstate NY just made the seasonal change from summer gas to winter gasoline mix. My mileage went from 53MPG to 46MPG with no change in driving condions or habbits.

You might consider trading

You might consider trading it in for something economical, like a Tercel, Corolla, xA, or Echo. Both my 95 and 97 Tercels get 36+mpg in town and 47mpg on the freeway doing 90mph all day.

I have a 2008 Prius with 80k

I have a 2008 Prius with 80k miles on it. When I bought it I was geting like 48-56 mpg on the highway. I will admit I do need an oil change but now I get like 32-40 mpg. Will needing an oil change effect gas mileage at all?

Firts I had an 2005 Prius

Firts I had an 2005 Prius and I always used to get 50 mpg, but since my like that she took that car and now I decided to get me another one but this second prius is only giving me 34 mpg why? does any body know?