+ Reply to Thread

Help us understand why Civic hybrid is not selling as well as Prius

Hello all,

We are graduate students from University of California, Irvine. We are studying the market for Hybrid cars in the US.

Please help us by taking this survey about the Civic and Prius Hybrids

Survey is completely anonymous and only takes 5 mins

Thanks in advance!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...U2QrYhmg_3d_3d

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Several points worth noting

Several points worth noting in and about your survey:

- The Prius and HCH are not really in the same EPA league. One is classed as a mid-size while the other is a compact.
    - The survey excludes those who own both vehicles.
    - One car is best for mainly highway use while the other truly excels at city driving. The survey does not appear to capture this.
    - Several of the questions do not allow for "other" answers. In general, many of these appear framed to comply/conform with a pre-existing or understanding bias.
    - The goals of the survey seem to assume that the manufacturing supply is determined by the market demand for these cars... and does not take into account the production limits imposed by a manufacturer for reasons they have made public over the last 5-7 years.
    - Not everyone in North America has a zip code.

Cheers & good luck

MSantos

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.

My first reaction was per

My first reaction was per one of MSanto's points: the survey does not consider manufacturing quantities. It's simply a lot easier to *find* a new Prius than a Civic Hybrid.

And yes, there are is a lot of frustration trying to fill this in, due to the nature of some of the questions, zip code for example. I'm *another* Canuck who is SOL because of my postal code.

I would suggest you reassess your survey and repost.

Which is the better highway

Which is the better highway car?

The EPA rates the Civic

The EPA rates the Civic Hybrid and Prius with the same highway figures of 45 MPG.

However, the Civic Hybrid can achieve much higher fuel economy on the highway than the Prius when operated by an attentive driver.
    We're talking 60-80 MPG if done right and at speeds from 50-62 MPH. So yes, the Civic Hybrid has a definite edge on the Highway not only in terms of fuel economy potential but also better handling and lower susceptibility to cross winds at higher speeds.

Cheers;

MSantos

Just one look at all the

Just one look at all the problems with the Civic Hybrid in this forum will tell you why the Civic Hybrid is not selling as well as the Prius, not to mention the deceiving sub par mpg. The Civic Hybrid is a shitty car.

I'm pretty happy with mine.

I'm pretty happy with mine. My lifetime average MPG is 55.2 with mixed driving. I get over 60 in the summer on my commute. A Civic Hybrid just set the fuel economy record through the lower 48 states - 68.54 MPG. That's well above the EPA average, and would be tough for a Prius to beat. Maybe the next version when it gets the Atkinson Cycle engine like the Civic has.

Hi hansonclan; You are quite

Hi hansonclan;

You are quite right. Not only would it be impossible for a Prius to beat that 68.54 MPG, but it would also be almost impossible for it to happen with just one person (the driver) aboard and no luggage. The record beating HCH had 3 people + luggage on board and had to deal with snow and ice. The Taylors established their record during warmer weather in their VW TDI with just 2 people on board and got 58 MPG.

Simply put, the HCH remains the most fuel efficient and cleanest 5 passenger highway cruiser sold in the North American market.

Cheers;

MSantos