+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wind powered alternator/recharger

This is probably stupid but is it possible or feasible to build into hybrid cars a series of micro wind turbines to charge the batteries? Or, by adding a charging unit on a roof rack?

I am thinking about several micro turbines that would be multi finned (like a jet engine) built around alternators. The wind would be funneled into ducts containing the turbines under the passenger compartment or built into the roof.

I was thinking of the same sort of thing built into the exhaust tail pipe.

Again, it is probably stupit, violating multiple laws of physics.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

JB, You're only trying to

JB,
    You're only trying to violate 1 law of physics. This is the law of conservation of energy.
    Remember that the wind over a car is caused because energy is moving the car. Your wind turbines will simply cause more drag on the car and make the engine burn more energy to move the car. You're going to lose energy overall with this scheme.
    Similar schemes have been proposed including putting a generator on the rear wheels to capture energy while the engine drives the front wheels. This has the same problem.
    Keep coming up with ideas though, our planet still needs better ways to use energy.

ex-EV1 is right if you're

ex-EV1 is right if you're talking about recharging the car while it's moving. If, however, you intend to charge the batteries while the vehicle is parked, a wind turbine would not be a bad idea. Wind turbines are expensive, and it would be dead weight that you have to haul around when not in use.

I had the same thought for

I had the same thought for the tail pipe - you have heat and an exhaust gas - basically what you have in a steam turbine (minus some pressure). Would guess cost and how you keep the system clean and running is the main problem for it.

You could have an underside

You could have an underside wind generator that is deployed under breaking; this would create drag at a time that you need it and could be aerodynamically cleaned up when breaking stops. If you could build an efficient enough wind turbine to charge the batteries sufficiently at relatively low speeds then I think this could be a useful addition to the existing recovery systems on hybrid vehicles.

You could have an underside

You could have an underside wind generator that is deployed under breaking; this would create drag at a time that you need it and could be aerodynamically cleaned up when breaking stops. If you could build an efficient enough wind turbine to charge the batteries sufficiently at relatively low speeds then I think this could be a useful addition to the existing recovery systems on hybrid vehicles.

This is probably a stupid

This is probably a stupid idea, but if there a hole for headlights only go all the way through the car and of course without the headlights from the front all the way to the rear so air could pass through easily. (and maybe to reduce drag?) With modified wind turbines like the ones in Sweden those sphere ones only smaller and with a little room so when spun really fast air could pass around could you not charge the battery? this would not work to charge the car when not moving, but once you got going would not theoretically speaking winds of up to 80+ miles per hour go through and easily powering your car?

i have thought of this idea

i have thought of this idea before 4 years and i had a research on it...and its 100% great idea...i talked to nissan company and they like the idea but they have one thing the want...they want the turbine be in the front in the car after the shill...so it can be hidden

Hisham Barqawi is very much

Hisham Barqawi is very much right if we install the turbine behind the radiator as risistance against the wind will not increase and the other option of engaging alternator while break applied could also be very much efective. any way wind turbine have less mechanicaal losses as compare to alternator mechanically drivin by the engine.

I was thinking about the

I was thinking about the same thing I do not know if is possible.