+ Reply to Thread

Use of cruise control

Hello friends. I have just ordered my new Honda Civic Hybrid and i have a question. Is it good for fuel economy purpose to extensively use the cruise control or not ? Thanks in advance for your answer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Nodasz: Congratulations

Hi Nodasz:

Congratulations on your new vehicle.

- The use of cruise control is very good for the average person driving on the highway.
    - However, the use of cruise control is very bad for expert HCH-2 drivers seeking the best fuel economy possible- and believe me, it is always far higher than what you can get with cruise control.

I suggest you begin your hybrid experience here:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Consider the above article as the ultimate HCH-2 bible. Please ask away and we'll answer whatever questions you have.

Cheers;

MSantos

Thanks for the quick answer

Thanks for the quick answer friend. I really hope i will enjoy my new car. Only one more question. What is "battery mode" in HCivic and how i can do it ?

If I might butt in: I

If I might butt in:

I haven't heard the term "battery mode" used commonly, but my guess would be that it refers to driving in electric-only mode.

This is something the car will shift into, occasionally if all the criteria are right. Typically they include:

1. Level road, or slight downgrade.

2. Engine full warmed up.

3. Speed below some ceiling. I can't recollect exactly, but I believe it's around 65 km/hr. At lower speeds I find it's even more likely to slip into the mode.

4. Being at level cruising speed, or in slight decelerate condition, ie: using *extremely* light pressure on the gas pedal.

If all of the above conditions are in place, and you carefully lift your foot back off the gas pedal, you might see the realtime mileage indicator (something worth leaving displayed all the time) get lower and lower (I'm speaking "metric", with imperial mpg displayed, I think it would be the opposite, ie: your "mileage" would be going higher and higher).

Then, mileage (funny how you can't shake the term) will drop to zero. This indicates *no* gas is being consumed. At the same time, the display showing the status of the hybrid battery will start showing one or more white bars above the median, indicating that the battery is *consuming* it's charge.

With very gentle increase in "gas" pedal pressure, you can get the battery consumption indication up to 3 or even 4 bars, while the realtime mileage indicator will continue to indicate no gas being consumed. Press a little more and the gas engine will kick back in.

These moments of electric only propulsion tend to be momentary, and I would just accept them as they come. I wouldn't go out of my way trying to prolong them (I lie, I do, but it's so difficult to maintain this state, so that it doesn't really matter).

Driving electric-only tends to eat up the hybrid battery charge quickly. Honda seems to have designed it as just one factor, very transitory, in it's array of strategies to improve mileage. I would take it as it comes. When it occurs, it's a sign that you're doing good things, ie: driving in an efficient manner.

Thank you friend. I am

Thank you friend. I am looking forward to try it.

You're welcome. Regarding

You're welcome.

Regarding your original question about cruise control and it's effect on fuel economy, I agree with MSantos (always a safe bet):

Cruise control is a convenience feature. I think the only time your mileage with CC might match non-CC is on dead-level roads. As soon as you encounter any up-and-down grades, your foot on the gas pedal will be capable of better mileage.

As you go up a short upslope, you will get better overall mileage if you let your speed fall off, and recoup on the following downslope.

OTOH, the CC will try harder to keep your speed close to constant in the above scenario, bring up the engine rev's and dropping your fuel efficiency on the upslope.

Regarding letting your speed fall off, it's always good to be mindful of your rear mirror when doing this. There are 2 issues at play:

1. You can genuinely suprise people following, who as a rule are expecting you to maintain a constant speed. And suprise on the road can be bad.

2. The current predominant mindset is that speed limits are the *minimum* acceptable speed, and dipping below it is grounds for road rage.

Just use some diplomacy when trying to get good mileage: be mindful of others on the road.

Thanks friend. It is true

Thanks friend. It is true that , as i see it , CC is excellent in ground terrain and in my country (Greece) there is not much of it

My HCH is travelling now from Japan ( inside a container propably in a big cargo ship ? ) I am propably going to first drive it within this month. Then i am going to test your advices.You cant imagine how impatient i am to drive this car.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely follow them.