+ Reply to Thread

not as smooth of a startup...

Lately, when i turn the key in the ignition of my 2005 hch for the first time in a day, it starts up like a normal car, with the rpms revving up past 2000 and then coming back down, instead of smoothly sliding up to under 1000 like it should. It doesn't do this otherwise, only if the car has been sitting for several hours. what's up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Is your car a CVT or MT

Is your car a CVT or MT model?

Also, do you hear the backup starter cranking or does it use the IMA motor as it should?

Lastly, How many miles does it have and when was the last time you had a tune-up performed (if with many miles) and has anyone looked at the EGR valve?

Cheers;

MSantos

it is a CVT with about

it is a CVT with about 43,000 miles. it has been doing this for several thousand miles, although it never used to occur as frequently as it does now. i went into the honda dealer pretty recently and got the oil change plus however many point inspection that it was due for and thought that might help, but there was no change. i don't hear any extra noises when it starts up, just a louder than normal engine, so i'm gonna say no to the backup starter cranking and no one has ever looked at the egr valve, unless that's the kind of thing that might be checked during an inspection.

At this point there are a

At this point there are a number of areas that I would be inclined to look into more carefully. Here are some that come to mind:

- Some degree of piston slap is a somewhat common symptom particularly when the engine is cold. In some cases this is bearable but in some cases (the most severe) an early tune-up (or valve clearance check) may be warranted. The extra noise almost makes the car sound as if it had a diesel engine.
    - EGR valve should be checked once in a while. For now I would just ask the dealer if it was included in the checklist.
    - PCM software updates. I would ask the dealer if they look into that and if they did not, have them perform the update.
    - Review and inspect the CVT linkages and clearances along with the solenoid connectors. With time these will move out of spec and loosen up causing odd CVT and RPM behaviors.
    - Just for giggles, give your car a couple of fuel system cleaning shots at your next tank fill-ups. A couple of bottles of STP injector cleaner each time should do and try purchasing tier 1 gas (For example: Shell) whenever possible.

Cheers;

MSantos

alright, thanks for the

alright, thanks for the tips, i will look into those things. it is really not very severe at all, it just pains me not to hear that barely audible startup that i take so much pride in. also, in the interest of describing the situation fully, i suppose i should mention that after it initially revs up, it only falls back down to around 1200-1500 rpms, with a slightly louder engine than it should have, until you pull it out of park and start moving. once you put it in reverse to back out of the parking spot, it gets quiet like it should and rpms fall slightly to about 1000.

All Civic Hybrids do it in

All Civic Hybrids do it in different degrees. Common problem with Civic hybrids. The dealer/factory rep refused to adjust the valves and preferred the Lemon law solution over a fix. If the engine lasts 200K then it doesn't make any difference in the cost v benefit of the vehicle. Mine actually made less noise when the dealer over filled the crankcase by .5 quarts. If it is very loud and gets louder with age and temperature you need to force the dealer to fix it under warranty if you have one. You are probably too late for the lemon law.