+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should I sell my 2004 Honda civic hybrid?

I didn't realize when I bought my manual transmission 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 44,500 miles on it in May of this year what the cost of a new IMA battery pack would be and that it is needed more often in manual transmission cars than CVT cars before the car reaches 100,000 miles.

I put 10,000 miles on the car already and drive 20,000 miles a year on level roads, half expressway, half suburb driving. I drive carefully and not too fast. I really like the car but am wondering if I should sell it before it requires the expensive IMA battery pack replacement. I wouldn't mind so much if Honda continues to pay for half of the $5000 cost but I don't know if they will continue this. Also I don't know if the fact I am the second or third owner (bought it from a dealer in NJ and I live in MI), would affect this. Maybe I am just worrying too much too far ahead, which wouldn't be the first time!

I get about 46 to 49 mpg, once got 56 mpg on a long road trip.

Thanks for any imput!

Suzanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Suzanne; Your HCH with a

Hi Suzanne;

Your HCH with a MT is a champion for fuel economy and yes, in the hands of most people the battery problem is far more pronounced. However, if you drive your car properly, the battery can have a life span as good or better than the CVT model.

The key is to manage your state of charge and ensure that the SoC swigs stay at an absolute minimum. This means managing your assists with appropriate acceleration rates so that you use the least amount of electric assist.
    Also avoid making sudden stops and instead make sure you start to brake gently and early so that you get no more than a few regen bars.

These and several other tips will allow you to keep your state of charge steady and that is the main key to a long lived battery pack.

No, if I were you I would not sell the car at all... unless of course, you are either not able or willing to follow through on the tips I offered.

Cheers;

MSantos

Hello MSantos, Thank you

Hello MSantos,

Thank you very much for this information. I will certainly follow your tips. I am glad to read you would advise me to keep the car as I think I would lose at least several thousand to sell it, I am attached to the car, and would far rather keep it! I don't know who you are but I sure do appreciate your help and knowledge. Thanks again!

I am in the opposite

I am in the opposite situation and looking to buy a used hybrid. I found a 2004 civic automatic with 99,000 miles. My concern, as is Suzanne's, is that the battery will crash after I buy it. What ways can I ensure that this battery has been well maintained and how long can an 04 civic battery last (both ideally and in less-than-ideal circumstances)?

Hi CM: First try to obtain

Hi CM:

First try to obtain the service history on this 2004 HCH. If it has one and it was mostly incurred at a dealer then the odds improve in your favor. If no history is available then this could be a bit of a gamble.

You may also want to get a fax report on the car and review its accident and repair history. Anything coming up as a flag should count a negative.

I would also recommend that you have the car looked at by a good Honda dealer (prior to buying it, if you are given that latitude) to get a list of the software updates and recalls that may still be missing in addition to a summary analysis on the condition of the car.

Since the car has a CVT I would be less fearful of the battery. Besides unless the warranty was revoked, you should still have quite a bit of coverage for that part.

Cheers;

MSantos

I purchased a 2004 HCH new

I purchased a 2004 HCH new in 12/03, and now my mid-twenties daughter drives it. She drives it hard, not paying attention to slow acceleration and gentle stops. Based on comments above, it sounds like you believe that may reduce battery life. It does have a CVT. In fact, she comments on a "whine" which the dealer thought was the transmission (although there have been zero transmission issues), and which the dealer replaced with a factory-rebuilt unit at a discount (but the whine remains). I too am comtemplating selling it before the need for an expensive battery replacement. It has only 66,000 miles, no wrecks, and no issues (except her reported whine). Thoughts?

I own a 2004 HCH CVT and

I own a 2004 HCH CVT and purchased it in Oct '08 with 139K miles. It now has 186K and have had no issues with the battery. The battery is pretty reliable. However, the transmission works but I am starting to feel a little slip and hear a little grind on takeoff. I'm assuming this is the beginning of a problem that will probably get worse. I have never changes the fluid, so I am doing that today, hoping that will help/fix the problem. Any advice tips?

i also drive a 2004 HCH CVT

i also drive a 2004 HCH CVT and I am having a similar issue as you are marc. i felt slipping for a good while but ignored it. NOw i am having a pretty intense shuttering/grinding and vibrating when i take off. i have had honda look at it. they say they need to replace the whole transmission. I am at 118,000 miles and i would like to just put a used transmission in it and sell it. I am having a hard time tracking down a HCH CVT. any thoughts besides spending $3,000 at Honda.

@marc - it will get worse. mine has. start having it looked at soon, get rid of it, or start saving your pennies.

I also have a 2004 HCH, and

I also have a 2004 HCH, and reported a similar takeoff issue, like a rough gear change going from first into second (if it were a manual transmission). I took it to the dealer and it was a recall issue and they fixed it for free. Perhaps your issue is the same?

I tried to trade my 2003

I tried to trade my 2003 civic hybrid at the Honda dealership at which it was bought and serviced. It does have the IMA and chk engine lights glowing. They offered $800 dollars for the car toward the purchase of an Accord. [to be honest it does have a malfunctioning radio an scrape decorated bumbers.]
    I had thought rightly or wrongly that I would get more for the car, and I had thought they would think it an advantage to bargain generously, to keep me in the "Honda family".....
    Eventually they offered me a better discount on the Accord, but only if I bought the new car before closing, which was in about an hour. The next morning was not an option.
    Good luck all.....