+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gas Fill Up Problem

I didn't think this fit under the tank capacity thread, so I created a new one for this issue. My wife and I bought a 2008 Prius back in March and have recently encountered a problem while filling up with gas. Even when the tank is near empty, the gas pump will click right away as if the tank is full. We have tried a couple different gas stations with the same results, and the fuel gauge is usually down to 1 or 2 dots. The only way to get the car filled up is to keep pressing the pump down, letting it click and stop, then pressing it down again, but it takes a very long time to fill up this way. I can also press ever so gently on the pump and the gas flows slowly but wont stop automatically.

Has anyone else had this issue with a 2008 or earlier Prius? We are thinking of just taking it back to Toyota to have them look at it because it must be an issue with the car telling the pump that the tank is full when it is not.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Adam

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

This is an infrequent

This is an infrequent problem. Seems to be hypersensitivity on the part of some gas pump nozzles to trip off.

Part of the problem is that Prius has a soft rubber fuel bladder, NOT a hard metal fuel tank, like every other car since the model T Ford.

what I found is that if the pump keeps clicking off, you can fill the first gallon S-L-O-W-L-Y, then after the first gallon or so, you can increase the speed of the pump without it tripping off.

For some reason, the Prius fuel tank occasionally causes back pressure on the filler neck, making the gas pump think the tank is full.

Thanks for your reply. This

Thanks for your reply. This makes sense. So is there anything they can do to fix this or it is just yet another opportunity cost of driving a Prius?

People here are a little

People here are a little nuts. People like this live in a vacuum. With all the American computer companies like apple, Microsoft and intell making chips and boosting the CA economy I fall to see where CA people get there anti American industry from when they are in fact themselves American manufactures.

GM is the largest American company in the USA and employees more workers than any US company and purchases more parts from us suppliers than any auto company.

They mean well and one person who doesn’t even work for GM anymore gave the order to recall the ev1.

So one person is not an entire company of smart young bright engineers who want to make a difference and bring the company into the future.

GM also sells more cars than toyota.

Toyota was down 32 percent last month.

GM down 15%.

So let the press make a mess out of GM if they want they are an easy target.

I think the next target should be toyota. They have caused a lot more harm than good to our economy.

G

Eff off G.

Eff off G.

My wife took her car in and

My wife took her car in and they did say there is an issue with the gas canister. They are replacing it and I'll be sure to report back if it fixes the problem.

Hopefully it's not just an issue with the car in general.

my 2008 prius has an 11.9

my 2008 prius has an 11.9 gallon capacity. the gas gauge in the car has 13 dots. i logically assumed that each dot represented a little less than one gallon. so if i had 2 dots left i would have about 2 gallons left. when i went to fill it up it only took less than 5 gallons. toyota customer care says the gauge is not calibrated that way. if that is so what is the purpose of the gauge. anybody else having a similar problem

I have the sample problem

I have the sample problem with my 1999 Toyota Corolla. A way to avoid this is not to introduce the pump nozzle too much into the canister. That will allowed proper breathing of the system and therefore no trip off.

Wow, I'm kinda glad Gschaut

Wow, I'm kinda glad Gschaut posted his question. I just bought a 2005 Prius and within less then a month, it already has a problem! The gas gauge won't accept gas anymore but I'm going to try everyone's advice and go a little slower and try more carefully. Thanks for the heads up!
    -SFlame

And G, while I understand your opinion you did nothing to help solve the issue at hand. And I am about 95% sure I don't live in a vacuum.

My old Jeep Wrangler had

My old Jeep Wrangler had this vapor pressure backup problem.

If you look at the two extremes of putting the nozzle all the way in and just barely hanging it in the tank, I'd pick about half way in between. Then I'd only set the filler on the slowest setting. Sometimes that would build up too much vapor pressure and I'd have to hold the nozzle the whole time.

I've carried over the same habit with my prius with no problems.