+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prius Tires

Prius Tires

4-d00r

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

My Prius came with 195-55-16

My Prius came with 195-55-16 tires, low profile, and I need new tires but DON'T want the low profile type. No One including the dealer can inform me as to what tires I CAN put on my rims. I want a higher sidewall .. IE: 60 or 65 or go to a different width and sidewall. WHAT TIRES CAN I INSTALL?

I have 45,000 miles on my 08

I have 45,000 miles on my 08 Toyota Prius. I love the car, but I was just told that my regular tires that came with the car need replacing. I have alternated them with snow tires every year and am surprised to learn that the original tires (as I was told by the Toyota service manager) last only about 25,000 miles. I have had many cars over the years and have never heard of this. Any comments on information?

I was told that I need new

I was told that I need new tires to replace the ones that came with my 2008 Prius. I have alternated them with snow tires every year and cannot understand why these original tires should last only 25,000 miles or less. That's what I was told by the Toyota service manager. Why aren't we being told this when we purchase the car? Is it true.?

Very interesting questions!

Very interesting questions! I wish i had the answer and i wish someone who knows will answer because i am equally interested too in finding out the answers!
    Asigurari Brasov

My usual experience with

My usual experience with factory tires is if you get 20,000 miles out of them you have done well. I had a Dodge Caravan that did not even get 17,000 ! My 2010 Prius has the Bridgestone Ecopia tires and they seem to be holding up well. I have about 25,000 on them and I hope to get another 10,000 out of them. I also used snow tires for about 10,000 miles. If anyone has had better luck with another tire on the Prius please let me know.

My experience with low

My experience with low profile tires is to avoid them if possible. They may look pretty but they drastically limit your tire replacement options and they are usually a harder riding tire. I think this is what you are finding out. The best option for you might be to buy some 15 inch rims and then you will have lots of tire options. The Prius comes in both the 15 inch and maybe a 16 and 17 inch low profile rim so you can check with the dealer to make sure you purchase the right rim and tire. Many times the overall diameter of a standard tire and rim for a vehicle is the same as the larger rim and low profile tire. This is because if there is too much diference in overall tire diameter the odometer will not register correctly. There are used Prius rims available on e-bay or Craig's list and some good aftermarket ones available. You also might find someone that really likes the look of the low profile rims and will trade you for them. Good luck.

To the person looking for

To the person looking for non-low profile tires: you will need to select the appropriate dimensions such that the replacement tires will
    1. Still fit on your stock rims
    2. Not be too large that they rub the wheel wells when in a full turn
    3. Don't change the overall diameter too much such that you odometer and speedometer are off

I would recommend visiting tirerack.com and entering your vehicle information and wheel size. Also read their articles on plus sizing tires.

Since the middle number (55) is a ratio of the tire width (195) to sidewall height (e.g. 195*0.55=107.25mm), you will want to decrease you tire width to keep roughly the same overall diameter.

Surprised about stock tires

Surprised about stock tires wearing fast? Many car makers negotiate with tire manufactures to provide them with a low weight, cheap version of their tires to help them get the most MPG out of a car right off the lot. For the consumer this does no justice as most people then hate the stock tires and will never purchase them again (not a win win for the tire manufacturer).

With that said my Mazda3 came with Goodyear RSAs which I didn't like from day one but they did last 55k -60k miles. I switch out with winter tires so the actual mileages is not exact. Our mini cooper has only gotten 25k - 30k on Dunlop Sport SP1 tires. Purchasing aftermarket tires, even the same exact brand and model, should be a different tires all together but again I am soured on the stock tires.

Also note that tires that come on your brand new $20k plus car don't have any tire warranty! That sure is strange. The same brand and model tire if purchased from any tire shop would come with a warranty so the tires MUST not be the same.
    Well, this is the information I have learned after nearly endless research. Good luck and read reviews, test results, and articles on tirerack.com. It is a great source of info as is consumerreports.com but that is a paid site.