+ Reply to Thread

Battery Wire Harness Letter

To All:

Seems calls to Saturn have prompted the following letter that all Saturn Vue Hybrid Owners will be receiving. I received my letter yesterday.

Dear Saturn Customer:

We have learner that on your 2007 Saturn VUE Green Line vehicle, when high resistance is detected in one of the hybrid electronic circuits, recharging of the 12-volt battery stops. This is a design feature that prevents damage to the hybrid system. If the high resistance is detected, the battery warning light comes on, the charge assist gauge will not move from its vertical position, and hybrid operation (such as engine shutdown when the vehicle is stopped) is disabled. A check engine light may also be on. When the 12-volt battery is not being charged, the vehicle can only be driven for approximately 20 to 60 minutes, depending on the electrical accessories being used, before the engine will stop running and potentially not restart. If the vehicle is turned off and then restarted when the condition is first observed, the system may reset and the battery warning light will go off. The vehicle will operate as intended; however, the condition may occur again the next time the ignition is turned on.

Your satisfaction with your Saturn Vue is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition or, if it has occurred, to fix it.

What We Will Do: To prevent this condition from occurring, your Saturn retailer will add a wire harness and reprogram the engine control module and the transmission control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

>>>

We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughtout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Saturn VUE provides you with many miles of enjoyable driving.

Scott Lawson
    General Director,
    Customer and Relationship Services

Seems to me that Saturn was very responsive listening to everyone's concerns expressed in several Threads. In addition, they are taking responsibilty and are addressing the issue. It would explain issues of the Hybrid acting strangely but restarting the Hybrid fixed the problem.

Now the big question - if your vehicle has been running normally and getting great performance and gas mileage - do you take the vehicle in for the update and potentially risk it because the ECM (engine control module) and the TCM (transmission control module) will be reprogram?

For some the answewr is YES. Safety is more important than performance and MPG.

For some the answer is MAYBE/NO. If it ain't broken don't fix it train of thought and when it acts up then get it fixed.

Which ever way you go - just know that this maybe Saturn first go at the Hybrid system and things may not be perfect - but they are trying to be responsive to the needs of their customers.

- by Saturn Hybrid Vue

Battery Harness Update...

I got the Battery Harness Update and the Hybrid is functioning the same as before - excellent . The Harness Update, Oil change and Tire Rotation took only 90 minutes and I am back on the road.

Here has been my experience with the 2007 Saturn Hybrid Vue.

10 Months of ownership - 22,817 Miles - 52 Fillups - Avg 31.87 mpg. Hybrid is driven about 90 miles to and from work each day with a combination of 50% highway and 50% stop and go. Best mpg 37.24 and worst 25.0

My average $2.648 per gallon of regular.
    Cost per mile for gas 8.31 cents.

The summer months were great for this hybrid.

A few interesting facts:
    My best tank averaged: 37.24mpg
    Farthest on a single tank without running out of gas: 557.5 miles that was also my best mpg tank
    43 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 30mpg.
    26 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 32mpg.
    14 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 34mpg.

MPG since 3/1/2007 - 32.6 mpg over 17,000 miles.

As you can see these numbers are well over the EPA estimates. The technology is there with this Hybrid. However, it is also ones driving style that allows you to get the most out of this or any vehicle. Keep in mind - smooth accelerations and stops allow the battery to do what it is designed to do - Assist and Charge.

Granted some of the Hybrid Vues are having problems. However, I would love to test the ones that are getting low to mid 20's and see if it is really the Hybrid or the driver. By the way, if traffic allows - I am driving 65 - 70 mph zipping down the road. I am not the hypermiler that crawls (sometimes in the left lane) at 45 mph because that is the optimal speed to maximize mpg. I travel with the flow of traffic (sometimes faster) and I do it efficiently.

I love my Hybrid Vue

the vue gets over 30

the vue gets over 30 mpg?
    that is not too bad at all.

I am not able to figure out the different gas usage percentages
    Does that have to do at all with the speed or the angle of the road?

Why the different mpg's?

thanks