+ Reply to Thread

Ford Focus: Will They Ever Make It A Hybrid?

Are there any plans to make the Focus a Hybrid car?
    I used to drive a Focus four years ago. Not bad.

does anybody know of any plans of the Focus being made as a Hybrid?
    or maybe they have already done it, and I am just behind with the news?

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

There have been no reports

There have been no reports of plans for a hybrid Focus. Ford IS planning a Fusion hybrid.

There is not much of a price

There is not much of a price difference in the Focus and the Fusion/Milan when your talking about a hybrid line. The Focus is like all the other small compact cars and competes in that market for fuel economy. The Fusion is more in the TCH class and will do well in that market as a hybrid.

BTW, the 2010 FEH/MMH may have an electric A/C compressor for EV use. A Ford Engineer may have let the cat out of the bag with the new 2010 Fusion Hybrid.

"Mr. Frenette said the 2010 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan hybrids will get electric compressors built in Franklin, Ind., by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Climate Control. That Mitsubishi division, which does make dual-scroll compressors, declined to comment on its plans with Ford."
    http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008...ain-must-fall/

The new 2010 Fusion Hybrid will share the same engine and eCVT as the '09 FEH/MMH so I expect Ford will change the A/C compressor in all hybrid models.

The Fusion/Milan hybrid will

The Fusion/Milan hybrid will have a smaller hybrid battery--275amp? compared to the 330amp Escape version. The Fusion/Milan hybrid system will be of a modular design that can be dropped into different engine(s) and engine bays. The Escape hybrid system is unique. Thus one could "speculate" the Escape hybrid system will also change to this modular design in the future. Then this could change somewhat when/if the PHEV--plug-in hybrid electric vehicle--arrives. I understand it as the Fusion/Milan hybrid will be availble for retail sale in March 2009.

Hey Billy Ford Engineers

Hey Billy

Ford Engineers have stated the Fusion/Milan Hybrids will have a smaller 275 Volt battery without the Aux A/C vs the 330 Volt battery with the Aux A/C in the FEH/MMH. From what I can tell from the changes in the '09 FEH, a larger battery without plug-in capability is just not going to improve mileage that much. The lighter weight and more aero-dynamic with smaller tires Fusion should crush the competition with the new Atkinson 2.5L engine and present eCVT. The battery size and design for the FEH/HHM has been contracted already for the limited 25,000 units. The newly cheaper 275V battery design without A/C is under a new contract with who knows who and for how many.

Now that I know the ordering process much better, I may again be one of those first in-line for a 2010 Fusion Hybrid with a good dealer. My wife and I have already test drove the '09 Fusion with the old 2.3L engine just in case the new system will have electric A/C for EV driving. Great car and a great big trunk with room for a HV battery.

I sure hope so, I am a big

I sure hope so, I am a big Ford Focus fan but I haven't got the chance to own it so far, my college roommate had one and that's where I learned so much about this car. Until they make a new hybrid they I'll just check used cars Cincinnati for some deals.

Me and one of my car dealers

Me and one of my car dealers Lancaster PA friends made a bet regarding this: he believes that in 10 years top Ford Focus will join the team and create the hybrid Focus, but I am positive that they're too great just the way they are now. I've driven one a while ago and I am actually planning on buying one soon.

There's actually an article

There's actually an article on hybridcars.com that reviews the hybrid Ford Focus . It's not dated, though, but I've asked a car dealer Wayne employee and he said that it was released this year, so the news is fresh. You should check it out, I've heard it's pretty good.

Cool! I love your site. Very

Cool! I love your site. Very well done. Thanks for organizing everything to where I can find it easier. Keep up the good work! I love it! Regards Robert Michael Sofa