+ Reply to Thread

ecvt fluid change

Anyone know if the ecvt fluid should be changed and at what intervals? My owners manual dosen't list it in service and my dealer gave me two different answers. My 2008 FEH FWD has 120,000 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

the cvt transmission are

the cvt transmission are built by aisin transmission the regular maintanance service is about 60000-75000 miles which is the same as the freestyle which it also has a CVT transmission. depends on your driving style i would recommend 60000mile intervals. the oil i believe is Mercon LV or SP i dont remember but it is in the Fluid capacity and type on your hybrid manual. hope this helps

No where in the manuals will

No where in the manuals will you find that your eCVT requires a transmission fluid change. These are sealed units and don't require it. The Freestyle CVT is not a eCVT with electric motors like a Ford Hybrid. My '05 and '09 FEH does not require a fluid change and I would say your '08 is the same.

this is what i got from ford

this is what i got from ford regarding the service of this tranmission. It is serviceable even though it is sealed
    Service manual for 2009 ford escape Hybrid With eCVT aisin transmission
    materials. Mercon LV XT 110 QLV, PTFE sealant

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
    2. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
    3. Remove the splash shield retainers and remove the LH splash shield.
    4. NOTE: If an integral problem is suspected, drain the transmission fluid through a paper filter. A small amount of metal or friction particles may be found from normal wear. However, if excessive metal and friction particles are present, internal service will be required.
    Remove the drain plug and drain the transmission fluid.
    5.Remove the fill plug on the side of the transaxle.
    NOTE: After the transmission fluid has been drained, clean the drain plug threads and apply a small amount of thread sealant to the threads.
    Install the drain plug.
    6.• Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft).
    NOTICE: Use only clean transmission fluid specific for this transmission. Do not use any supplemental transmission fluid additives or cleaning agents. The use of these products can cause internal transmission components to fail, which will affect the operation of the transmission.
    7.Fill the transaxle with clean transmission fluid as specified until the level reaches the bottom of the fill plug hole.
    NOTE: Clean the area around the fill plug, removing transmission fluid that may have spilled on the transaxle case.
    8.Install the fill plug. • Tighten to 40 Nm (30 lb-ft). Install the LH splash shield and the retainers.
    Item
    Specification
    Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-10-QL

I guess if i have an 06'

I guess if i have an 06' eCVT transmission with a leak I'm screwed??

I have 2009 Ford Escape

I have 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid & now it has over 90K mileage but i never changed the transmission oil. Do I need to have any transmission oil change at all since it is eCVT transmission. Can you please help me on this.

I have both an '05 and '09

I have both an '05 and '09 FEH and the eCVT is a sealed transmission and the fluid never needs to be changed. The '09 FEH even has a better design fluid to last the lifetime of your vehicle with less drag than the older fluid.

Labeling this unit as

Labeling this unit as "Sealed" is simply wrong.

Like any transmission it has a drain and fill plug and likely has a vent somewhere to accommodate volume changes of internal liquids and gasses. There is nothing special about the drain & fill procedure in the shop manual. Had it been "sealed" there would be special procedures.

It's accurate in saying that there is no callout for fluid changes for this unit. Since it does not have the brake type material and bands that a regular automatic transmission has it generates far less wear products. Thus there is little need for fluid change.

Don't interpret this as a sealed unit. Calling it that is simply misleading.

Labeling this unit as

Labeling this unit as "Sealed" is simply wrong.

Like any transmission it has a drain and fill plug and likely has a vent somewhere to accommodate volume changes of internal liquids and gasses. There is nothing special about the drain & fill procedure in the shop manual. Had it been "sealed" there would be special procedures.

It's accurate in saying that there is no callout for fluid changes for this unit. Since it does not have the brake type material and bands that a regular automatic transmission has it generates far less wear products. Thus there is little need for fluid change.

Don't interpret this as a sealed unit. Calling it that is simply misleading.