+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Natural Gas and a 2008 Civic Hybrid

MSantos or anyone else, has anyone heard of anyone converting there gasolene Hybrid to compressed natural Gas or propane? This 10% Ethenaol in the Gasolene is killing my mileage. I am thinking about converting to Natural or Propane Gas if it is possable.

Any Info or Advice is appreciated

Bert Ft. Myers, Fl

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

Hi Bert; I really like the

Hi Bert;

I really like the idea as it has a lot of merit.

However, I don't know how successful anyone would be taking a late issue Civic or Prius hybrid and have it converted to a compressed gas vehicle. Technically, it is definitely possible... provided that you find a place for the tank and a way of altering the existing power train fuel management systems which are governed by PCM and ECU algorithms that Honda protects rather aggressively.
    The other issue is warranty. I am quite sure a regular hybrid owner would be in a pile of trouble if they ever took the converted car in for warranty service.

A safer alternative would be to sell the Civic Hybrid (the re-sale value is excellent) and purchase a CNG Civic. This is a far better, cheaper, safer and more robust option.

Bert, I hear your pain and I absolutely hate the 10% ethanol mess just as much as you and many do... however, there are other alternatives that may help you make up for what you lose in energy due to the 10% ethanol blend. If these alternatives were to cost you much less money (like $0) than a hypothetical CNG conversion... would you be interested? What kind of mileage do you get now with your HCH?

Cheers;

MSantos

I would be interested, I

I would be interested, I have already got my tires at 42/44psi, we are in our sixties and not in a rush we follow all the driveing techniques for better miileage.we drive a 50/50 mix of city and highway driveing from Nov. till now we have put on 8300 miles

Is this 10% ethanol just in

Is this 10% ethanol just in the States? I'm in Canada, haven't heard anything about this.

Bert: I suggest reading

Bert:

I suggest reading Tarabell's article on the HCH-2 as a good starter. She basically identifies a few techniques that work very well and don't really require a lot of effort. Well worth the read and the results you get.

You can find it here:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306

Mendel:
    If I recall correctly, the only top tier gas brand in my area that does not contain any ethanol (up until now) is Shell gasoline.

Husky and Mowawk gas have always had 10% ethanol. Other brands may or may not carry the blend and most don't seem eager to disclose it (a possible dead give away).

Cheers;

MSantos

I have read here artical we

I have read here artical we have followed all suggestion posted on here also for the last 8 months, thought you might have some new information.

Thanks, MSantos. I was not

Thanks, MSantos.

I was not aware that anyone besides Husky Mohawk used an alchohol blend. I filled up at a Mohawk years ago with a carbeurated engine and experienced really rough idle. Avoided them like the plague since. We typcially fill up at Chevron now, with no issues, but didn't know they may be using a blend.

I remember reading the the manual about "top tier" and I believe Shell was mentioned. What do you think: how important is top tier, alchohol blend etc.?

Hi Bert; Please remember

Hi Bert;

Please remember that even though Tarabell's article is an introduction to your HCH's FE potential it remains a necessary starting point. I will give you the following pointers as the next step up from the usual DWB, DWL and Gliding she describes:

Avoid EV assist when ever possible and keep your SoC as high as you can. High FE begins at an SoC of 6 bars and you are riding the FE peak at 7+ bars.
    When accelerating avoid the assist by strategically switching from D to S until you reach 24 MPH. After this top speed, put the transmission back on the D setting.
    Glide at every opportunity but avoid falling below 24MPH speeds.
    Kick the car into the Mid 3's mode. In this mode you'll see the car orbiting around 75 MPG and at 1100-1400 RPM at lower suburban speeds (35-48 MPH).
    On the highway put the car into the SAHM mode. This will give you 70-90 MPG at 55-62 MPH speeds and with an unloaded car.

Mendel:

I believe top Tier gas is not an attribute for ethanol-less blending. However, as a top tier brand, Shell does offer many additives that help burn better and cleaner and most of the time they offer no ethanol with their lower octane 87 product which in the books of many (myself included) is the ideal formulation for our cars.

Cheers;

MSantos

Yes, I understand the higher

Yes, I understand the higher octanes (= more reluctant to iginte) are a waste of money unless you have a high compression engine, *and* the owner's manual recommends higher octane. Just to keep it confusing, Honda spec's a grade while the gas station pumps in Canada spec a number which I believe is actually an average of some sort. I'm fairly sure the bottom line is the cheapest is fine

Is the change really worth

Is the change really worth it?
    How much would it cost you to make the conversion?
    Are there any risks involved with this procedure?

Is there enough justification for doing this?