+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fan noise

Fan noise

Today for the second time in 3 monthes I have a noise coming from under the dash of my '08 MMH. It sounds like something is rubbing on the fan blades for the HVAC system. However, when I turn the fan off completely, the noise is still there, when I pulled off to the side of the road, it stopped but so had the ICE, I called service, can't get in for a week.
    Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so what was it and what was needed to correct it?
    I am guessing it is the cooling fan for the batteries, but not sure where that is even located.
    Side question and surely not important, but where is the Horn located on a 2008 MMH and what is required to get to it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    HybridCars.com
    Advertisements

The two cooling fans for the

The two cooling fans for the HV battery are located within the battery housing in the rear cargo area. The battery fans do shut off as soon as the engine shuts down. I can hear them when they're on high speed sometimes. I don't think this is what your hearing because they just sound like air blowing and nothing rubbing.

I have read a post with this noise before but I don't recall what the cause was. The sound was coming from the engine compartment I thought. You may want to turn the A/C to Max (low fan speed) next time to keep the engine running to better locate the noise.

The most probable reason

The most probable reason might be the friction in the engine compartment.Next time when you start you have to turn on the AC to the maximum level for avoiding and identifying friction.

have you gotten a chance to

have you gotten a chance to bring your vehicle in for a checkup? have they found the cause for the noise? thank you for sharing.

Yes, I took it in and, of

Yes, I took it in and, of course, no noise, even took it out for test drive up and down the interstate, nothing. This noise has only happened twice, both times while out on the interstate after about 75 miles of driving about 60 mph. I will try the a/c on max and low. Thanks, the techs are clueless, but of course when they have less than a handful of MMHs a year to work on......